Author Topic: works replica  (Read 2154 times)

Offline iamsofaking

works replica
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:46:51 AM »
I really didn't want to look like a tool, but I have to know:  What does this mean?  What is a "works replica".

Offline BDI

Re: works replica
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:18:31 AM »
You know I was wondering the other day what exactly works means and where the term came from.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 06:13:51 AM »
works is basically the same as factory backed. works bikes get prototype parts not available to the public and lots of factory backing$$$$$$$$. a factory or works bike may look like the bike you can go buy but could have a one off crank, one off pipe, etc, etc. so someone riding a factory sponsored bike could consider that bike a works bike. a works replica is just a replica of the factory bike so it probably just has the sticker kit the factor pro is running on his works bike. back in the day the 2t works bike always had different pipes and we now call them works pipes the ones that are all cone sections welded together. this is just what we call them because of there looks, the old factory guys had this look because they where constantly changing the design of the pipe. all in all describing a works bike is hard but basically a works bike is a factor sponsored or backed bike with parts not available to the public.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 06:32:38 AM »
From what I recall of the late '70s, a works bike was one of those bikes with lots of parts made of unobtainium.  Like Bob Hannah's first water cooled bike.  That one was pretty blatantly a works bike.  No one else had a radiator hidden behind the number plate.  Others looked more 'production'.

Works bikes were ones specially built with many one off parts.  They may have used a few production parts but just a few.  Weren't there rules that a bike had to be a "production" bike in order to race?  Many works bikes were serious, one off factory hot rods with the high dollar parts as hidden as they could be under stock looking plastic. 

So a 'works bike replica' is a production bike that someone gussied up to look like a factory ride.  Upgraded suspension bits, funky porcupine heads, and hand fabbed pipes would be common parts.

That's my 0.02.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 05:35:34 AM »
Back in the mid 80's Kawi called their KX line "Works Replica" which was a joke, about the only thing in common with the works bikes was the color and the plastic, beyond that not much else.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come