Author Topic: Death/Rebirth of a KX500  (Read 41510 times)

Offline AJ

Re: Death/Rebirth of a KX500
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2009, 02:22:12 AM »
nice!! :)

what prompted you putting them on?
tired of running *stealth* mode? :)
heh

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2009, 02:32:15 AM »
Yes, got tired of answering all the questions "When did they start making a 450 2 stroke?"
Stock Kawasaki graphics are so expensive, I felt it was cheaper to get new number plates.  I can always sell the 450 plates.
I hate to waste anything, gas, electricity, water, or KX graphics.
KX 500 Rider

Offline franciskx

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
Muy bonita la moto, felicidades tio....??esta moto se puede comprar para espa?a?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2009, 08:30:27 AM »
No, it's made in the U.S.A. by
Service Honda.
http://www.servicehonda.com/index.html

No, est? hecho en el U.S.A. por
Servicio de Honda.
http://www.servicehonda.com/index.html
KX 500 Rider

Offline azracer19

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 06:16:41 AM »
just wondering will a desert tank fit on that bike?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2009, 07:25:13 AM »
I bought an IMS tank, started to make it fit but needed help.  It hits the spark plug, the coil (relocated because of the 500 motor) and the radiator braces I installed.  Bought a heat gun but need someone to throw cold water on the areas I was trying to heat while I held the spot in place.  No one was around the day I was working on the tank, so I put the bike back together so I could ride.  It kind of turned into winter job.  Stock is 1.9 gal. IMS is 3.2 gal. The way you have to melt and push in the tank to fit, I think you lose a little. Adding the IMS tank will add about an extra gallon.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2009, 10:08:59 AM »
In the last picture you see the contact with the coil and brace.
KX 500 Rider

Offline tharden

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »

All I can say is NICE.  Just think of what the kx500 engine internals would be like now if they upgraded it like the 250.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
Death/Rebirth of a KX500
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2009, 07:01:55 AM »
With more and more woods/tight trail riding I'm doing now, I thought it was time to up grade the K5AF.  It's no fun to bash you fingers on the trees.  So before I do that...........Here's the upgrade.

First I need to give Jerry at http://jfabmotorsports.com/  a thank you for suggesting I use a Honda front brake master cylinder.
It gives the KX500AF the clean look it needed for the installation of the Cycra Probend CRM hand guards 1-1/8"bars (CRM-Center Reach Mount).  http://store.cycraracing.com/ceremo11ba.html

I ordered a 2008 Honda CRF450 master cylinder, if you do this don't forget to order the plunger that goes between the handle and hydraulic cylinder.  It's not part of the assembly.  http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.html
The problem with the KX master cylinder I encountered was the location of the banjo bolt on the hydraulic brake hose.  It comes off the front of the cylinder right into the Cycra mount.  The Honda master cylinder has the banjo coming off the back side of the cylinder.  And it should clear the mount.  Jerry told me this and he was correct.  Problem solved.  Did not have to bend the hand guard mounts. 

I'm also a big fan of AVS clutch and brake levers.
http://www.asvinventions.com/levers_order/C5_Series_Levers/CLM03_off_road_c5.html 
I installed the C/5 Series Pro Model Clutch/Perch and the C/5 front brake lever.  I bought the "Shorty" version to avoid any fitment issues.  You don't have to cut the end off the lever to fit with the hand guards or move the perch in, on the handle bar. I like how they are adjustable for big or small hands. 
  I called ASV to talk about using ASV Honda parts on a Kawasaki and Karen fixed me up with all the correct part numbers.  She also told me if I buy from ASV it would be list price.  One of those "Can't undercut my retailers".  She suggested one of her retailers that discounts her products.   
http://www.rcalracing.com/index.html
That saved me a few bucks.  ASV levers are very popular, they run back orders 3 to 4 weeks behind.
Every time they run a batch of levers Rick at R-CAL Racing is the first order filled, he's just across the street from ASV.
Give him a call and he will get them to you as fast as he can.

Everyone that help with this upgade was easy to get along with and very helpful.
Thanks, Jerry, Karen, Rick, Cycra, and the parts guy at Service Honda.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:59:56 PM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline cr37

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2009, 06:03:14 AM »
The honda brakes work alot better than the stock KX brakes, I replace the whole system with a Honda and love it stops alote better.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2010, 05:54:03 AM »
I ordered a set of Vibranators.  Handlebar vibration eliminators. 
The concept sounds like it will work.
I'll do a follow up after I do a full before and after test.

http://www.vibranator.com/default.asp
KX 500 Rider

Offline jbersano

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 02:59:38 AM »
this is love....  :mrgreen:

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »
I have the virbranators on my KX500, and they made a noticeable improvement. Vibranators and 4 Honda OEM handlbar mount bushings (BRP racing sells Honda OEM bushings, so I gave them a try) and my virbration problem is cured.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
This Thursday I'll have the final tig welding done to the Pro Moto Billet back rack.  Had to do allot of fabrication to make it fit the AF bike.  It's made for the KLX450F. I think it looks good.  Sure don't want to loop it out.  Hope to fire it off and ride this weekend.  Here's where I'm at so far.  Click on the first picture, it's a video.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:12:16 PM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2010, 01:28:34 AM »
Hey Danger, I'd be very interested in more details of how you mounted your rack. I put one on my 450F but removed it after hauling extra gas, it got quite loose on my left side, my mounting was a little cheesy, my right hand side was OK. I talked with a guy from Promoto Billet about making one for the KX, I think I'll email him this thread maybe they will design one for the KX.
"Endeavor to persevere."