Author Topic: 1988 model differances  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Rd

1988 model differances
« on: January 04, 2009, 10:51:33 AM »
I may be able to get a 1988 KX500 in a horse trading deal and have been entertaining the thought of a KX250/500 hybrid. Nothing exotic just a steel frame 250 chassis.
Is the 1988 a bad year? I think the 1988 may be the last year with the old style KIPS setup.
Should I look for a newer motor or is the 88 OK?

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: 1988 model differances
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »
A few people,(myself included) think the earlier model has superior porting.My 86 is a nasty, nasty animal and loses nothing when up against my mates 93. Both are standard at minute bar pipes and ignition timing adjustment. And I run one tooth less on back sprocket.Ultimately, there aint a lot, if anything in it.As long as you look after it on a religious basis, it'll tear your shoulders out no matter what.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Rd

Re: 1988 model differances
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:15:15 AM »
Thanks for response kwakman.A friend has an 87 and it runs very well but I believe he had a hard time trying to find a cylinder for it.

I am sure the engine would have to be gone thru top and bottom end. Talked to the guy last night and he said it was a 89. Should be looking at it this week to determine what he really has?