Author Topic: Paddle Tire Riding  (Read 26675 times)

mikesmith

Paddle Tire Riding
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2004, 06:20:39 AM »
They use them in hill climbs,so why not?

Offline GDubb

Paddle Tire Riding
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2005, 11:46:27 AM »
Anyone ever ridden with a front ribbed tire? If so, what are the pro's and con's?
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
Re: Paddle Tire Riding
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2006, 03:36:04 PM »
Anyone ever ridden with a front ribbed tire? If so, what are the pro's and con's?

I know this is an old post but I thought that I could add some info on the qoute above.

I have always and only used the King's ribbed front sand tire (the matching front tire for the rear King's Turbo Paddle).  I have ridden other friends bikes in the sand with nobbies and definately notice a difference.  Your specific suspension settings will definately effect any tire you use in the front, especially in the sand. But with all things trying to be equal, the ribbed tire has a few pros and cons.

Pros:  It has great curving/cutting characteristics.  Holds very nice at 45 degree angles.  Does not throw up alot of sand.

Cons:  Sometimes will add headshake at speeds over 50 mph in a straight line (not a common riding style in the sand).  Sand that has recently been rained on and is drying out, the different textures will be a little more noticeable (i.e. turning on ridge or face and cutting through the dry sand and hooking up on the wet sand will be a bit more dramatic than a nobbie.  And the most dangerous,  when jumping or doing wheelies, you need to be careful setting the front tire down off angle, you might get tossed off because the tire will hook up.

The cons sound a bit overbearing, but the pros are 4 to 1 in my opinion over them.  Most people definately have a hang up on the looks as well (I guess that could also be a con. lolol)

Anyway, hope this helps some people.

FuriouSly

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 02:55:32 PM »
So?  How you like the ribbed front paddle tire Arigato?

Sly

Offline Arigato

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2006, 01:47:05 AM »
The ribbed front is the shizzle.  I can now corner a lot more agressively and not worry about washing out.  I think we have a good idea about the high speed "shakiness".  It's different than head-shake.  We need to find a good way to balance that front wheel.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006, 02:24:40 AM »
I think you have that wiggle deal down Arigato.  I didn't think about the out of balance tire situation, but now that you figured it out it makes sense.  Does it over 50 MPH on smooth straight runs...   duhhh,  out of balance.  Not really headshake,  but a wiggly vibration in the front.  I need to get a new rear tire on the street bike, so I am going to take the front ribbed tire of the KX5 with me so I can have them balance it also.  Very excited about the resolution of yet another bug in the system.

Sly

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2006, 02:31:54 AM »
I rode my KX one time in Glamis after days of rain and I hated them! The one thing I learned was that I will never go to the dunes without all my tire options! Last year at the Coral Pinks I had to change to my paddles from the hole shots on my V700 quad, because it was so fine and dry. :-o :-o :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Arigato

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2006, 03:33:37 AM »
Alan, Coral Pink sand is soft like no other.....

Sly, let me know who, when and where on the balance thing.  Let's get them both done. 

Other than the wiggle, that tire carves like a mad ginsu knife!

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2006, 10:46:44 PM »
Try road tyres on tarmac if you are after traction...

Try knobbies with ice screws on the ice if you want to feel 60 hp GLUED to the surface.......

When you guys run a paddle tire in the sand, does the rear end fishtale a lot  when you are getting up to speed (like 40+ mph)?
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Arigato

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 01:45:45 AM »

When you guys run a paddle tire in the sand, does the rear end fishtale a lot  when you are getting up to speed (like 40+ mph)?
[/quote]

Actually, we get pretty good hook-up once we get going.  The tire will spin when starting from standing still.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2006, 03:18:19 AM »
Arigato,
  Just curious.  When you run the ribbed front can you remove your rim lock (not sure if the ribbed tire will spin under braking)?  That would make the front wheel balance better and easier to correct.  I was noticing the other day how out of balance my knobby front was with the rim lock and tube stem on the same side.  Might be what I'm noticing on fire roads at speed.  Cam.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2006, 06:19:33 AM »
I don't know about removing the rim lock.  However, when I spin the fron tire you can see a "wave" effect going on with the way the tire was molded.  The rim is true, but the tire moves up and down on one of the ribs.  For $30, I guess perfection is out of the question.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2007, 04:03:45 AM »
I just got back home from riding at st. anthony's dunes in idaho last night. i rode with a 10 paddle skat trak hooker on the rear and a knobbie on the front. i'm seriously considering the kings three ribbed front for next years dune trip. i am also thinking of cutting a good knobbie so it has only the center and both outside rows of knobs left. that might track really well without the dangerous knifelike hookup after a bad jump. SLY, ARIGATO, any thoughts on that idea? by the way it was an awesome trip. MADDOGGY

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2007, 04:50:21 AM »
Arigato,
  Just curious.  When you run the ribbed front can you remove your rim lock (not sure if the ribbed tire will spin under braking)?  That would make the front wheel balance better and easier to correct.  I was noticing the other day how out of balance my knobby front was with the rim lock and tube stem on the same side.  Might be what I'm noticing on fire roads at speed.  Cam.

I balance my wheels.  Takes about 3-4 ounces of weights to off set the rim lock.  Makes a big difference at high speed and if you get out on the street or fire roads.  Picture is my KLR650 wheel but I balance the K5 wheels also.
KX 500 Rider

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
I am so jealous maddoggy...  St. Anthony dunes are the best.

i am also thinking of cutting a good knobbie so it has only the center and both outside rows of knobs left....maddoggy

AMS sand snake is a good alternative to the Kings triple ribbed front tire.  A good step to the next level so to speak.

http://www.amstires.com/productDetails.jsp?product_group_id=1921&category_id=1184

I have been too busted up over the last year to actually get my Kings triple ribbed front balanced and tested.  Also thinking that I will remove the rim lock like Cam suggested since I run 12 psi anyway for jumping.  Then i am going to try and match the tire to the rim and get it balanced.  We do ride at 50-70 mph at the dunes at times and the wiggle is a bit un-nerving.

Sly

Here is a pic of the AMS Sand Snake front with a Kings 18" 8 scoop Turbo Paddle rear on my spare dune bike.