Author Topic: KX500 kickstart and temp  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Neilios

KX500 kickstart and temp
« on: October 12, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »
Recently bought a KX500 1992 model, used it round the local track yesterday and it boiled over tried to bleed it and found no air in the system, is this a problem you guys encounter?? then after it cooled down the kick starter lever snapped at the knuckle, do any year parts fit or shall I buy a 1992 one, I have seen a 1987 for sale is this any good??

Many thanks in advance for any help and info.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: KX500 kickstart and temp
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:58:49 AM »
My '04 K5 has IMS foot pegs and my kicker hits on one of the teeth.  It has made a divot in the kicker just below the factory stop that's made on the kicker.  For that reason I bought a new kicker and keep it in my spare parts box when I go on rides far from the house.  Here's a link for looking up parts.  I don't know if the new kickers fit your bike but if they do that's what you need.  The newer kickers are thicker and less likely to break.  Look up your year part, then look up the same part for a 2004 and see if the numbers are the same.    http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/9/Kawasaki.aspx
KX 500 Rider

Offline Neilios

Re: KX500 kickstart and temp
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:07:15 AM »
Thanks for that, I went this afternoon and bought a new one as it was on ?80, secondhand ones were somw ?50-55. will get it fitted and look into the overheating problem.