Author Topic: 03 500 pipe??  (Read 5315 times)

99tjrockcrawler

03 500 pipe??
« on: October 20, 2003, 01:08:42 PM »
What is the best pipe for top end power.  I run mostly in the dunes and don't really care about low end power.  Just want the ponnies at top end??
Also where is the best place for prices on the net???

Biggreenmonster

03 500 pipe??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 09:15:01 AM »
I think FMF has a desert pipe,but have never had the pleasure of testing one in the dunes!Another place you could look into is Dynoport,they can make one to suit your needs.They also sell ready made stamped pipes.The Dynoport hand made pipe looks cool,but are a bit pricey.I think they would be awesome is you have the funds.

mikesmith

03 500 pipe??
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 08:23:25 PM »
I dont know if it has the best top-end of all manufaturers, but Pro Circuit Desert pipe.I like MC Rocky for there prices and staff,or try monkey butt from this board.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
pipe
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 06:22:55 AM »
I think as Mike... :D  PC for top end or shortened your standard pipe.
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

HULKSTER

03 500 pipe??
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 06:52:23 AM »
I'd take a fair offer on my Pro Circuit setup in the for sale section...

It has litteraly ONE RIDE.

1alldave

03 500 pipe??
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 03:50:05 PM »
The FMF Desert pipe(KX15D, I believe) Is the best top end pipe out there. Whatever you do , don't try the Dynoport. I bought one of their " big volume top end" pipes and it sucks.Cost close to 400 bucks, fits like crap. The motor would not stay on the pipe under a load. The headpipe flange would only go into the cyl. to the depth of the first O-ring. I called them and they said they knew about this,and told me to gob silicone on it. I wanted to send the pipe back, but they refused to stand by it. It's too bad, because it looked great. I tried all kinds of jetting and timing with this pipe, and it still never pulled the Hill like an FMF Desert.

DanH1

Go FMF Desert
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 12:04:53 PM »
Go with the FMF Desert. It does not have the hit of the Fatty but on a dyno its worth about 4hp, thats on my K5 with porting/milled head/reshaped combustion chamber.
                                               Dan H

teamgreen500

03 500 pipe??
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 04:22:02 AM »
I'd have to 2nd the opinion on the Desert Pipe, FMF or P.C., for that matter. I personally have had 2 different "Effects" from 2 different "Fatty" pipes. Go Figure. Also, Rex Staten gave me a DG pipe that was a Top-End Monster. I've still got it...Sounds like a "Pipe" Test is going to be necessary. Let's get our jetting notes out and I'll head over to Lee's Honda-Kawasaki with some pipes and go "Dyno'n".

The Current Pipe on my bike is a "Fatty" and it has a very linear/tractable bottom with a nice torquey mid and UNBELIEVABLE over-rev. I always joke with my Thumper friends that my bike has the Power that they "Think" they do...Just a big Happy 250 on Steroids... :lol:

A Note in all fairness: My bike has an "Alligned" Crank (John Braasch-Team Green), Pro-Circuit Cylinder and Head, Stock-always packed Silencer (or same w/ "Sparky"-welded on), #10/105 plug, and is just flat out spoiled with attention :wink:

Merry Christmas and God Bless...

Manny

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
03 500 pipe??
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2003, 05:37:44 AM »
Hi!
DanH1
You talked about 4hp loss at dyno.Have you dynotested your bike and do you have the paper for it?
If you want to publish them ,many of us will be interested! :wink:
By the way what reshape of the top have you done?

teamgreen

You have a point! :)
Yeah let`s have a test about pipes!

Happy Christmas to you all !!!
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

DanH1

03 500 pipe??
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 06:00:19 AM »
doordie
      The Fatty always felt stronger, but one year during practice on Pikes Peak they had a dyno set up, so I ran the Fatty then changed to the Desert pipe. The Desert was 4hp stronger. This was not the most scietific, done at just over 10,000ft. altitude. It was done within an hour, so no weather changes, no jetting changes either. Just a wide open dyno run that explained why my times were faster with the Desert pipe.

Dan

1alldave

03 500 pipe??
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2003, 12:35:27 PM »
A pipe test sounds like a great idea! One thing I have noticed, at least with the severely stepped on,88mm bore combos I run, is that the stock silencer pulls better on top than any aftermarket units. I have tried FMF,PC, shortened PC, and Dynoport silencers. Nothing works as well for top end in my experience as a freshly packed stock unit.

mikesmith

03 500 pipe??
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2003, 06:22:52 AM »
Is that with or with out a sparky weld on S/A on the stock silencer?

1alldave

03 500 pipe??
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 12:44:58 PM »
Mike.
    I do not run anywhere that requires a S/A so I have not tried it. I have noticed that most of the k5s in the pits at tech insp. at the Suncoast use the stock silencer with a welded on S/A.