Author Topic: Breakin in Wiseco piston & rings  (Read 2406 times)

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
Breakin in Wiseco piston & rings
« on: October 30, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »
How do you guys breakin your Wiseco setups? I do what a couple of folks have told me - run it easy for the first 15 mins, then let it cool off, then another 15 and run it a little harder, let it cool, then again for 15 but bring the throttle up 50-75 for short periods and let it cool down. Is this too short a break in for a forged piston?
2000 KX500

Offline monster malibu

Re: Breakin in Wiseco piston & rings
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:04:06 AM »
That's the way I broke my bike in after a Wiseco topend rebuild, I then started riding the bike like normal. No problems yet ....

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 02:48:33 PM »
is it a replate or just a new piston.

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 03:29:47 AM »
Oops, forgot to mention that, yep, got a freshly replated cyl also.
2000 KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 06:51:27 AM »
You should do 6 heat cycles, that is start, warmup to ops temperature then let cool down fully, before riding.  I think Doordie will back me up on this. Cam.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:12:55 AM »
i have a fresh replate too. And heat cycles are a key to break in on hard plating.

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 04:43:48 AM »
I ran a couple of tanks of gas through the bike this last weekend and I got to say I appreciate the great info on this site. Done a lot of the things mentioned here to make the motor kick butt, like a reed spacer, FMF desert pipe, KIPS valve fix for no more overclosing and the piston intake port. The things a rocket, almost scary fast but controlable.  What a huge fun machine this thing is now. Want to slide through a turn in 4th or 5th (desert gearing) roll it on. Want to wheelie anytime roll it on. Want to pass roll it on.
Hehe
2000 KX500

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 08:54:08 AM »
I ran a couple of tanks of gas through the bike this last weekend and I got to say I appreciate the great info on this site. Done a lot of the things mentioned here to make the motor kick butt, like a reed spacer, FMF desert pipe, KIPS valve fix for no more overclosing and the piston intake port. The things a rocket, almost scary fast but controlable.  What a huge fun machine this thing is now. Want to slide through a turn in 4th or 5th (desert gearing) roll it on. Want to wheelie anytime roll it on. Want to pass roll it on.
Hehe
Wish mine was like this...  :cry:

Offline mysnykkx500

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 02:54:11 AM »
how should I break in a steel sleave?? same way?? :| I would like to do this today if I can get  a response
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:13:52 AM by mysnykkx500 »
Tim