Author Topic: Zip Ty Kit - Just for Desert?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline bigborefan

Zip Ty Kit - Just for Desert?
« on: October 20, 2003, 02:09:26 AM »
I am considering the Zip Ty kit. I currently run the IMS / FMF Gnarly configuration, and I love the way this pipe works. I run GNCC type events, not desert, and was wondering what users thoughts were on the Ty kit for GNCC style racing.
2006 KTM 300XC
1994 KX 500 x 2
1991 KX 500
1988 KX 250

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 07:46:54 AM »
Look on pg4 for Zip-Ty kit or pg5 under Desert Tank,theres some info there or Im sure Rick will answer your questions.He has a lot of knowledge to your questions.

DanH1

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 02:16:38 PM »
I've been running either the Gnarly or Desert pipes for a few years. The Gnarly has a harder mid hit, the Desert is smoother, but on a dyno the Desert has more hp. I just put the Zip-Ty kit on my '03 500 and seat of the pants, it feels like the FMF Desert pipe. The gas sits lower [helping to keep center of gravity down] because of the tank design, but the pipe does stick out on the right side making it more vulnerable than the FMF,s. The '02 250 shrouds do look good.

Rick

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 05:20:10 AM »
You do give up a little on the top end, but I have always felt the trade off was worth it.  As for the pipe, I've got over 5000 miles on my 500 since the change, and still no discernable dents in the pipe.  I do however, run the Moose pipe guard, the same one I have been using for the past 5 years.  Instead of the hose clamps, I welded 3 - 5/16 square nuts to the pipe, and used 1/2 inch long 5/16 pan head screws to secure the guard.  A lot less rattle than the clamps.

With the flywheel weight and reed spacer, I love the smooth power my bike delivers.   The only issue I had was with the top tank mounts.  The first tank cracked where the brass nuts are molded into the tank, so on the second tank (which Ty provided for free as a replacement), I elongated the plastic bracket holes so the tank rested squarely on the center tube.  My intent was to eliminate all pressure on the brass nuts.

Rick