Author Topic: COMPLETELY NEW TO A BIKE!  (Read 2608 times)

campaug86

COMPLETELY NEW TO A BIKE!
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
hey guys whats up, my name is grant and i am from mid michigan. ive always liked motocross and all that ive known about a bike is their basic design and how they worked. but how to ride em or how they should work and look correctly is beyond me haha. i just recently got a very clean very nice 90 kx 250. engine has been redone. it has a psi pipe, stock silencer and v force reeds. high compression wiesco piston flywheel weight. i am very afraid of this bike haha. i traded my 98 yamaha beartracker quad for this bike. when i got it it was leaking gear oil and the chain snapped on the first holeshot i took. i am in the process of restoring it little by little, new plastics have been ordered, paint, clutch, bars, tires, shift lever, brakes. when it rolls out of the garage this spring it will look just as it did when it rolled off the showroom floor in 1990.

so, anyone from mid michigan wanna go riding sometime, send me a pm! kinda sucks riding by yourself.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: COMPLETELY NEW TO A BIKE!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Welcome!! :-)

but if i may ask ,why trade a 98 beartracker for a 90 kx250 :?
or do i miss something?
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline mysnykkx500

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 11:43:03 AM »
I am completely redoing my 91 kx 500  I think plastics will have to wait for my wallet to recover though... Everything else  is new or refurbished, new bearings end to end, motor top and bottom, new rims and tires rebuilt forks and shock, sprockets, chain, hand grips. next spring I'll do the exhaust, brakes, handlebars and plastics.....But welcome to the site
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 11:45:53 AM by mysnykkx500 »
Tim

Offline dans89kx500

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:01:41 PM »
Welcome to the group Grant. I live thousands of miles from you in Northern Ca.. Anyway, just take your time riding and learning. Dont even try to ride like guys who been at it for a while. The most important thing is to just have FUN. Let me tell you something, I just busted up my knee real bad and been off work laying on the couch for two months.....that isnt fun. Dirt Bikin' is fun.
Isnt there lots of riding places in Michigan? The only place in Michigan I've ever been is Bay City and there seemed like lots of good riding places.?.?

Daniel in Vacaville, Ca
Daniel in Vacaville
1989 KX500
2000 Husaberg FC501
2009 Husqvarna TC510

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
KX 500 Rider

campaug86

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:53:35 PM »
Welcome to the group Grant. I live thousands of miles from you in Northern Ca.. Anyway, just take your time riding and learning. Dont even try to ride like guys who been at it for a while. The most important thing is to just have FUN. Let me tell you something, I just busted up my knee real bad and been off work laying on the couch for two months.....that isnt fun. Dirt Bikin' is fun.
Isnt there lots of riding places in Michigan? The only place in Michigan I've ever been is Bay City and there seemed like lots of good riding places.?.?

Daniel in Vacaville, Ca

i live 15 minutes north of baycity in standish. we have lots of riding places here just not some good stuff for bikes, its all 4 foot mud from the trucks and atvs. yea, i traded this kid i work with for this bike. it was a basket case. it was a frame with a rebuilt motor sitting in it. so while everything was apart i cleaned and painted and greased. bike runs great and is a freakin monster.  just need new plastics various bearnigs, a chain, new back tire and a new silencer.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:37:49 AM »
Camoug86
  The Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan  is a great club to belong too. They have the trail maps of all the legal trails in Michigan. We have single track, 50 inch and orv routes,they are mapped out, and most are regularly groomed, to eliminate the woops. I am pretty sure that Michigan has the largest trail network in the world that is mapped,groomed and legal to ride on. cycleconservationclub.org
  You can also access some of those maps through the Michigan DNR. I think I read somewhere the trail system is now almost nine hundred miles long.
  If you are heading to Bull Gap, Kalkaska,or Lincoln Hills, shoot me an Email, if I am not busy I will join you. 
   John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.