Author Topic: kx500 noisy kips powervalve slight loss of power need suggestions please  (Read 3731 times)

Offline 98kaw5oo

my 98 kx500 was in top running condition when i bought it,last week we did a 70mile run at the tomahawk trails and at about the 50 mile mark i noticed my bike wasnt quite at full power,still fast and pretty good running but definitely not 100% like it seems in my opinion from riding 2 strokes all my life this may be an issue with the power valve almost like its only opening up 3/4 of the way,i can hear the kips powervalve and its not real bad but ticky sounding like a mild continous lifter tick.air filter was just replaced,new plug and it still isnt 100%  anybody have an idea of what this could be and if i took it in to the local shop and say have the kips adjusted or whatever the normal parts on the kips that wear out what would that cost me? is rebuilding a kips or replacing the usual wearable parts costly or fairly cheap? i have a trip planned for this weekend and would really like this running like it did.thanks fellows.

Offline 98kaw5oo

Re: kx500 noisy kips powervalve slight loss of power need suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
i see nobody has any suggestions but it ended up being part of the kips powervalve assembly.i took the small side cover off and something came apart so i fixed it.

stewart

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »
what came apart.,,the little clips or the arm from the govener

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:22:49 AM »
hi stewart,1 of the 2 e-clips they call them was missing(the first one you see when you pull off that small 2 bolt cover on right side)when i pulled the cover off the collar they call it or wheel looking part was way over to one side wedged in and the e-clip was down in that bottom rubber boot.53 cents for the e-clip and i would think the problem should be solved.,rubber boot was rough looking and previous owner had a lot of gasket sealer so i did the same for it wont leak so waiting 24 hours for it to dry before i test it out.i did notice the arm that has the 1/4" end coming out that fits right in between the collar/wheel has a groove or indentation on the right side of it,i dont know why it would but i am thinking maybe because the e-clip and collar fell off that it wasnt sitting properly and wore on one side,the local dealer said thay did not know if it was supposed to have a groove,they weremt much help just wanted to fix it themselves.$60.00 -$90.00 just to look at it and $160.00 $210.00(ouch!!) to totally clean the powervalve.what do you think about the groove on the end of the lever? looks like its 1-bolt and a 1 minute job to replace.

Offline fluffy

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:53:40 AM »
go buy clymer manual #m447-3 for kx125-250 and 500 1983-2004.i think it cost 28.00,but worth every penny.

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 06:19:34 AM »
fluffy,i do have that exact manual,new on ebay(19.99 plus shipping was about $28.00)i wish it was only the manual for my bike not all the 125 and 250's and different years,it seems like i have to go through all the bikes before i get to mine.i dont like the manual at all but its better than taking it in to the local $85.00 an hour ripoff shops.i rebuilt my top end on my yz250 several times and changed the right crankcase and thats the most ive done,this kips system looks much more technical than my 95 wr250's power valve system,maybe its not and its just me?

Offline fluffy

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 02:32:32 PM »
if you did that,than you can fix kips. use the search at the top. punch in kips fix or the like. theres a whole page that walks you right threw it.

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:44:30 AM »
hi,i tried typing in kips before but i didnt come up with how to clean it but other things.will definitely do that and try different search words. thanks.

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 04:56:29 AM »
fired it up and ripped it through the gears.bike runs like a charm again. a 53cent e-clip and that was it and everything is back in alignment and in place now.it is a 100% wheelie machine again.glad i tried it myself before taking it in and spending wasted cash.

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 12:04:01 PM »
my kips is noisy and chatters and ticks,i dont mind the lifter tick sound when its at idle when you can hear it but i can hear it when i go to give it gas usually at higher speeds,is this normal or is there something wrong with the kips?,the bike runs perfect though.