Author Topic: kx500 having trouble with front tire washing out in sand  (Read 2901 times)

Offline 98kaw5oo

kx500 having trouble with front tire washing out in sand
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:34:30 AM »
on my 1998 kx500 the suspension and everything is good and there are no issues with the bike or really anything i need to do to it but sometimes the front tire will wash sideways in sand (medium deep sand)and a few times almost spilled me but i kept the bike up,i have never experienced this sudden sideways action on any 250 2 stroke which i have rode for the past 20 years. and all i was riding in was sand and not really going into a turn either but i would say at lower speeds ,i have the same front tire when i bought the bike which looks to have real decent tread but dryrot cracks only on one side and it is a dunlop 80/100/21 i am a fairly experienced and agressive trail rider and know how to ride but this has me wondering whats going on and if its the bike or if its the tire.i know a front tire will act squirrely on sand and im used to that but this was a little different and it happened a few times,i will be changing the front tire out before i go riding in 2 weeks again.i did a search earlier and i think i need a michelin s-12 90/100/21 for my sand/soft dirt riding which is here in northern michigan.any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated/

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: kx500 having trouble with front tire washing out in sand
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »
My 2004 KX500 when new, had a front tire problem in sand also. What I did was slide both fork tubes upwards in the triple trees about 1/4 inch. Then I removed the brand new Dunlop tire and installed a Dunlop D733 tire. My front tire is a 80/90 21 and I run it with about 14 psi pressure. It has been on most Northern Michigan trails and works great for me. The sand of Bull Gap is no problem, even though it isnt a rock tire, the rocks of Evart give it no problem and the tree roots of the Kalkaska loop dont seem to bother it. I am sure there are other tires and setups that I should try, but this one works for me.
  PS I also use a GPR steering stabilizer that helps considerably in sand, it helps reduce any headshake and makes the bike track straighter.
  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline KXT500

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 01:53:01 PM »
if you do go for the s-12 tire check out my post here. I have that tire on an excell rim for a good price.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4583.0.html

sorry i am not more help but i have no clue on the answer to your problem.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
I've been testing the Dunlob 755 front, and I must say it work really well.  Two turns in and I'm convinced. :mrgreen:

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:20:58 AM »
thanks for the replies,i think ill try a new tire before i do any fork lowering or anything like that,the bike has the tires on it from when i bought it,both are dunlop 752 i havent had it up to bullgap yet(was supposed to hit bull gap last weekend on the way back from tomahawk but we were too tired from a 70 mile run)are these tires i have not good for the sand? and the front tire looks skinny on the bike,should i go to a wider front to a 90/100/21 instead of the skinnier 80/90/21? also when i get some extra cash i do want to try a steering stabilizer but i have been riding in sand for over 20 years and i know sand will make the bike unstable but my problem feels like once in a while only in the medium depth sand while i am riding someone comes up and kicks my tire to the side(thats what it feels like)i probably should have posted this after i tried a new tire but also wanted suggestions on a good sand tire,i have heard all good about the michelin s-12 so will most likely go with that,ill check that link from kxt500.,also i am running about a half tread approximately 752 dunlop 110/90/19 in the rear but it gets good traction still.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 01:14:10 AM »
look at kendas. Washougal is great for soft to intermediate, and combo is less than most brands single tire. They also have big nasty Southwick for soft. Hold up well for me also. Pirelli MT44 great sand tires.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 01:45:19 AM »
Set your sag at 100mm.  Sag has a huge effect on turning. :mrgreen:

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 03:14:42 AM »
I rode a '99 CR250 for years and I must say that my current KX500 kicks the crap outta that 250 in the turns.  Maybe it's setup, but that CR would washout just looking at a turn.  That being said, the KX might not turn so well, but coming from something that didn't turn at all makes it feel like it turns on rails...  I'm relatively impressed with the turning abilities of my KX5.

Offline holeshot buddy

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:28:10 AM »
like arigato said set your sag at 100mm 8-)
change your tyre
if its still the same back off your compression on front
it could be to harsh and pushing in corners
dont forget to sit right up on tank in the turns :-D
generally if its not tyre its suspension
because they do turn well :-D
wave to me when i lap you