Author Topic: KX500 FIRST WOODS RIDE  (Read 2568 times)

Offline 98kaw5oo

KX500 FIRST WOODS RIDE
« on: August 22, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
after going to a local homemade track i finally got a chance to actually do last weekend 70 miles of woods riding at the tomahawk trail in northern michigan on my 1998 kx 500,this was some of the most technical tight trails i have been on and honestly it was not that much fun to ride on any bike unless you need tight trail practice.i thought it would be bad in the woods from what people said but i liked it and only needed 1st and 2nd gear(barely any shifting due to the low end torque of this monster.i have the 14 oz.steahley flywheel weight and a procircuit works pipe,works connection rear spring,wiseco piston.stock gearing.other than that its fairly stock,i thought it was fine for woods riding,the power is awesome but you do need to be an experienced rider to ride the 500.i can go so much faster over the whoops and as soon as i hit an open section than my previous 250,i do admit i can fling a 250 around more easy than the 500 but in my opinion the 500's power is so vicious it is worth it..i love the bike  and have not even got used to it yet.i have heard more nonsense about how the 500 is only a desert bike and is not manageable on woods trail riding but the bike is and obviously these poeple cant ride hard and fast,handle the power,or?

Offline Mick

Re: KX500 FIRST WOODS RIDE
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 08:01:50 AM »
...I do admit i can fling a 250 around more easy than the 500
You don't have to act like you're coming out of the closet  :-D  It's as well a known fact as death and taxes.

I used to single track my KX a lot years ago.  I ended up being happiest without a flywheel weight and the stock 14/47 gearing.  Although it could easily use a 13t countershaft for the really tight stuff to save the clutch and my left forearm.  As far as the motor and suspension departments go I think the KX has an excellent off road combination.
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 01:09:45 PM »
When ridden correctly, the big KX is a pussycat in the woods. I raced one in enduros in 88 and 89. When 400 and 430 Huskys dominated the enduros, my 88 was right up there with them. Mine was easy to ride and handled ok in the tight Southern NJ woods. Ive heard all the nonsence also and it was just that, nonsense! There are definately better bikes out there for woods riding but a properly ridden 500 can get the job done. I may be racing an 02 again next year just for the hell of it. Have fun with it!
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:59:31 PM »
There's nothing more calming then knowing you can climb that immediate hill-climb off to your (right/left) where the trail laughingly changes course on you... An fiendishly waits for you to fail.

I've been soo impressed by how easy it is to chug up tight, technical single track winding uphills strewn with annoying braking-bumps further worsened by erosion from water pooling in them over the seasons. Just keep the clutch in a slight slippage kinda state during the climb and she smooths out those stuttering square-edges nuisance bumps quite nicely.

SIGH... now if this dang collarbone could just heal faster!!!

Meh.. in the meantime I'll be giving her new shoes (foot pegs), a purdy brand new un-scratched front fender, and a grippy new seat cover.. YAYY!!!
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline stock500

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:32:16 AM »
As far as motors go I think the modern K5 is the best all around motor I have ever experienced.  I live in Western Wyoming by Jackson Hole and I am always riding to 9,000 ft on really rocky steep trails.  My 4-stroke buddies stall like crazy on the steep rocky stuff (if they are not slipping the clutch like crazy).  As long as I am on the gas I can lug my bike so low it shocks me that it does'nt stall.  Then when I go to St. Anthony there are few bikes that will compare to my Stock 500!  Chassis is another story, as far as being cutting edge, but I can't ride my bike to it's full potential so I don't worry about a modern chassis much.  I get plenty of enjoyment knocking my buddies off there bikes with pounds of roost.
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!