Author Topic: rear shock springs  (Read 4061 times)

Offline kiwimonster

rear shock springs
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:51:39 AM »
hey guys what is the best solution to get a stiffer rear end, im 152kgs and the poor old rear end is crap under all that abuse. stiffer spring rate maybe any one else here of a large framed type.  i have heard of revalve but im not to sure what that means, the front ends fine just the rear. can the rear oil be thicker like you can in the front. cheers for any info. :evil:
d c scrivens

Offline bigbellybob

Re: rear shock springs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:54:08 AM »
have you set your sag? this is a good right up on setting sag. the sag needs to be set first then look into changing stuff

http://www.harrymoto.com/MX/RaceSag/set_your_race_sag.htm
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline dsrtrider

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:11:28 PM »
what problems are you having with your shock?  is it kicking, bottoming, ???
current bike 2007 ktm 300 xc-w - keeping two strokes alive
1994 kx500 -sold-made me the man i am today

1990 kx500-sold
1982 kx250-sold
1979 rm125-sold
1978 kdx125 -sold
1977 xr75 - first bike

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:05:55 PM »
The first step in any suspension tuning requires the proper spring rate for your weight, a revalve may help but it isn't the answer. Start with the proper springs, use bigbelly bobs link for setup, and then you may want consider a revalve. Bear in mind I'm assuming the springs are to soft, typically a 500 was set up for a 160, 170 lbs person.

good luck
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »
Like dsrtrider asked what exactly is the bike doing? If your shock looses the nitrogen charge that will cause the rear end to feel like crap do to the loss of rebound controle. You could have multiple problems. To soft of springs, low nitrogen and or badly adjusted clickers. We need more info. :-)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:11:40 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »
thanks guys i had the k5 imported from japan and it was used as a supamotard bike by a jap rider,   the poor old rear end just squats down im not to sure about the spring rate but it may have had a lighter one put in by the jap rider as this is my 3 rd k5 , i had a 1992 then bought a new 1996 and never had the same probs with them. i mean im 152kgs so maybe a heaver spring what rates do they go up too. the comp clickers are maxed to hard. its not spongy or springy on rebound .   im a vet mxer not to serious but the rear ends holding me back............ damm time for a tummy tuck.   thanks for the help guys.
d c scrivens

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »
I need a 5.8 for my bike It has a 6.0 on it now. It's a little on the stiff side for me but its new If you want to e-mail me your weight we could figure out if it is the right rate for you and maybe I could get the right rate for me.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »
Approx. 349.6 lbs. 8-)

I would say sag, then nitro, then spring, then revalve.  You shouldn't have to have your clickers maxed.

Mine kicks a little, but it really depends on how comfortable I am.  It's kinda like when I don't ride and am not super comfortable and I'm slower, it's fine, but when I ride every day and really get into a grove and up to speed, it kicks.  I'm going to try to set it all up next month.

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »
 :-o  how can i tell what spring rates on the k5 is it stamped on the spring anywhere,  i have not done my sag so will start there first.   buy they way thanks for the bolt fix for the kips ive just done mine and cant wait to see if its gained more bottom. damm fine web site i say, i changed my reeds back to standard, but noticed they arent as good as the boysens so will change back. now just have to find a reed spacer. anyone got one for sale. damm hard to get anything here in nz.   sort the rear end and im a happy camper. cheers guys.
d c scrivens

Offline TOF64

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »
I'm about 290 Lbs. and just installed a 6.3 rate spring from Factory Connection and can now get the proper sag measurements with an acceptable amount of preload.  Used a .53 rate for the fork springs (Factory Connection as well) and it is a night and day difference from stock.

www.racetech.com has a cool spring rate calculator to use

Offline dsrtrider

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
tof64

did you revalve or just shock and fork spring?  i am also increasing spring rates for my weight (225 wit gear) and am debating spending money on revalve.

also team green has a recommended spring chart on their webpage but it only goes from 135 lbs to 200lbs
current bike 2007 ktm 300 xc-w - keeping two strokes alive
1994 kx500 -sold-made me the man i am today

1990 kx500-sold
1982 kx250-sold
1979 rm125-sold
1978 kdx125 -sold
1977 xr75 - first bike

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »
:-o  how can i tell what spring rates on the k5 is it stamped on the spring anywhere,  i have not done my sag so will start there first.   buy they way thanks for the bolt fix for the kips ive just done mine and cant wait to see if its gained more bottom. damm fine web site i say, i changed my reeds back to standard, but noticed they arent as good as the boysens so will change back. now just have to find a reed spacer. anyone got one for sale. damm hard to get anything here in nz.   sort the rear end and im a happy camper. cheers guys.
   If you set your sag at 100mm with you on the bike you should have 20 to 25mm of satic sag. If your static sag Is less then that, or no sag after setting race sag your spring is to soft if it is greater, then your spring is to stiff.

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »
cheers guys will do the sag tomorrow and report the results. i think i will need a stronger spring .  :-o
d c scrivens