Author Topic: Best way to run bike in  (Read 2186 times)

Offline kiwikx500

Best way to run bike in
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:42:34 PM »
Had crank seals replaced an work done on bottom end, few clutch plates replaced.

Am I better to warm  the bike up and idle in the garage for a few minutes or go out for a ride ?

Keen to start the K5 in the garage first ? How do you guys do it when you have had work done and new parts replaced ? Does the head gasket seal etc need decent temperature to expand etc

Cheers

1990 KX 500

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: Best way to run bike in
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 01:38:38 AM »
my sweetheart,s ready this weekend,
i do it like this ,

start up and i dont let it iddle for 3 min ,i ride off in 30 sec.
ride very gentle for like ten minutes ,shifting a bit up /down.
let her cool off  :-D
fire up and do a 20 min run with medium rpm for small amounts of time while shifting gears  :-P
again cool off
then the run that breaks it in ,because you make a heatcycle that allows the pieces to meet and wear-in properly.
that run is with more rpm and shifting all the gears .
also the crankseals will go comfortable with this and fit in just well,and not get blown out .

but why replace a few clutchplates,and not all?
i do always a complete change also springs and if neccesery the steel ones .
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:15:46 AM »

but why replace a few clutchplates,and not all?
i do always a complete change also springs and if neccesery the steel ones .

Yes replace all and the springs,  I have no fun removing the side case.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:19:54 AM »
 I think you are referring to break-in for the rings. Did you replace rings also? If not its ready to ride. If you did change rings then, I warm bike up three or four times. Then go for a couple of mellow rides, letting the bike cool completely between the rides. After it cools, I ride the crap out of it. Usually takes 2-3 hours of good riding to really seat rings. I can feel my bike come in after a break in. Once it is real crisp and strong I park it and go over head bolts, cylinder bolts, case bolts, all the engine mounts and head stay re tighten. Especially on the bolt throwing 500. About 2 hours on fresh motor, and I am usually missing a couple. Oh yeah, its good to change the oil after a couple hours on new clutches.

Offline Mick

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 01:21:57 AM »
I don't know why you would just change a couple discs and not all of them??  That ahh...probably isn't the best idea.  All of the plates have been subject to the same amount of wear.  When you replace friction plates (hell I do it for drive discs too) they need soaked in oil previous to installment.  The friction material on your old ones are impregnated with oil.  Your knew ones need to be as well or you'll cause pre-mature wear.  I'll soak mine overnight in a zip lock bag.  You don't necessarily have to replace the springs either.  Measure the spring free length and bounce the numbers off your service manual.  Springs don't often get sacked out.  You didn't mention anything about the top end, so I'm assuming you just had work done to the bottom.  If that's the case you don't need to bother with any additional routines.  But I'm in the habit of always letting the motor warm up first before I ride anyway.  3-4 minutes of idleing then I open the throttle to clean it out.  I like the cylinder to be able to heat up and expand before I try sticking a piston.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:11:12 AM by Mick »
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 02:33:18 AM »
Yep, you need to soak the discs. Good point Mick. And change all of them. Good advice on all points.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:07:17 AM »
No piston rings replaced, a cracked clutch ring was in the "transportation box" when I picked the motor up. Guess the kawai mechanic thought it was not needed to replace all the clutch rings. Easily quadruple prices and more for parts in New Zealand compared to the USA, if it is not really necessary we make do or less there's no money left for riding.

Since no piston rings were replaced is pre garage warm up trial ok ?

1990 KX 500

Offline Mick

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:32:35 AM »
Hmm...well it would be difficult for me to change just one or two plates if I wanted to.  They all come as a complete package.

But yes.  Warm it up in your garage first and you'd be totally fine.  Fill the cases with oil and let her rip!
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 12:10:47 PM »
Sweet, cheers saving dragging the K5 down to river for a maybe non starting event.
1990 KX 500