Author Topic: Half the radator running hot.  (Read 3036 times)

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

Half the radator running hot.
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »
Went riding yesterday and the water pump side of the radiator was cold and the other side was HOT!!! and the hose coming off the head was swelled and looked ready to pop.  I bleed head and the hose then colapsed, tHen open the top of the radator and it looked fine.  How do I check to see if the Water pump is working.  I did losen the hose coming in and out off the water pump and both sides were cool.  Any ideas on what I should be looking for?   

Offline KXcam22

Re: Half the radator running hot.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »
It's pretty rare that the water pump stops working but I have heard of the impeller spinning with the retaining nut loose.    If that was the case however you bike would overheat very fast.  With the engine cold and the rad cap off you usually can see the flow if it is working.  You may have a slight blockage in there.  I would suggest draining the system completely, rmove all the hoses and use your garden hose to pressure flush all the parts you can. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 06:20:56 AM »
This might help to ensure the system bleed of all air.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:34:12 AM »
Found the problem -blew the head gasket right at the water jacket coming out of the head.  Is there problems with comet gasket kits - I was not happy with the basegasket that was included because it was miss cut out of the package.  I ordered Genuine Kawasaki gasket set that seemed to be better built. 

Offline HodaddyB

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
Found the problem -blew the head gasket right at the water jacket coming out of the head.  Is there problems with comet gasket kits - I was not happy with the basegasket that was included because it was miss cut out of the package.  I ordered Genuine Kawasaki gasket set that seemed to be better built. 

Y'know, I've been less than thrilled w/ Cometic gaskets. Over the years I've had mis-cut gaskets from them, and some that just seemed questionable period. I HAVE had pretty good luck so far w/ the Moose kits. I've put them in many customers' bikes w/ no reports on failures. YMMV

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »
thanks for the info on the moose gaskets - I was questioning the head gasket when I ut it in, but did not have anything to compare to, so went with it any ways.  Over eger to ride that coming week-end.  I plan to do a complete engine rebuild over the winter (between sleding).  I also just picked up a 95 KX 125, so my son can ride, we'll do a rebuild on it as well, it isn't even running yet.  As far as the Radator mine are two different sizes, but even so should not be that different in temp.