Author Topic: KX500 CHAIN SPROCKET COMBOS  (Read 5614 times)

Offline 98kaw5oo

KX500 CHAIN SPROCKET COMBOS
« on: August 01, 2008, 03:16:27 AM »
have stock 14/47 gearing,want to go to 14/50,have a did dm 520 chain on right now(seems cheap and flimsy compared to a did vm 520 on my other bike)) i called the local bike shop and they said they sold 1-size chain and i need to cut it down or grind it down to size or pay $30.00 -$50.00 for them to do it,(ouch!)i am looking for a chain/sprocket combo and figured i would order a 50 tooth rear sprocket and buy a chain for 14/50 gearing.can i order it like this? or do i have to cut the chain down myself?anybody buy a combo lately and any leads on the best price and a midrange to fairly higher end model i should get without breaking the bank.i dont want the most expensive but dont want anything cheap with the k5's power.am mainly doing wodds riding and no desert so i thought this ratio would be good to start out to gear it down a bit.

Offline Mick

Re: KX500 CHAIN SPROCKET COMBOS
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:36:03 AM »
I think most companies try to sell correct length chains because it saves them money.  For instance, Sidewinder sells chains in length determined by stock gearing.  If you go much larger than that you need to let them know.
I've used RK chains on my KX in the past and liked them.  I'd get two seasons from them.  Been using Sidewinder chains on my CR.  I just took a 7,000lb non o-ring chain off after five years!  Leads me to beleive Sidewinder knows how to make a chain!  They cost more but you have to ask yourself what you expect from a chain.  If I'd a used an o-ring chain I probably wouldn't ever need to replace it (like Sidewinders Smart Chain for example).
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:08:12 AM »
"i have had the same sidewinder chian and sprocket set on my 2oo1 kx 500 for 3 years i have dynoed probly 500 pulls rode in chat piles and mud lots and lots of times never had to adjust it"----THATS A QUOTE FROM STEWART out of the "long term chain care" post.

if i were going to invest my money in a sprocket/chain set i would only go with SIDEWINDER. they are expensive, but they last for years and in the end that saves money. i'm all about saving money but never about sacrificing quality.    MADDOGGY
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:15:39 AM by maddoggy »

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:54:37 AM »
thanks for the suggestion on sidewinder but those are way out of my budget from what i just seen doing a google search.i just woods ride nothing competitive so i dont need the best.just wondering if someone can post a link or tell me where to get the best priced combo,maybe someone just bought a combo set for a good price somewhere.also i was told not to go with a 13 in the front because its smaller and harder on the transmission and to leave the 14 stock size in front and change the rear to a bigger sprocket like a 50tooth to gear it lower.that true?

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:36:36 AM »
i guess you'll just have to search the internet for the set you want. there are tons of sites that offer chain/sprocket sets. as far as the 13 tooth front sprocket........i've seen some posts on this site about guys running 13 tooth fronts and they are small enough that the chain rubs on the case. haven't experienced that myself, it's just what i read. if it weren't for the rubbing issue you could run down to lets say a 10 tooth with no harm to the tranny. the engine and tranny are going to run the same no matter what. the difference is what you put outside the tranny as far as gearing front and rear.   MADDOGGY

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:35:54 AM »
i noticed my front sprocket countershaft seal leaking a little bit and knew it when i bought the bike and the guy told me dirt gets in there and all you need to do is replace the seal,so i took the seal out and am going to pick a new one up tomorrow at the local shop that has 1 in stock.the spacer looked fine.i  noticed that the chain is rubbing against the engine case,it isnt damaged yet but who knows how long,it does have grooves in the case.i have a jt stock 14" size on it,i have a protector plate that goes in front of the chain for it wont hit the case in that spot but nothing on the inside against the case where you can see the chain rubbing and dont see where you could get a protector in there.im afraid if i dont do something now im going to be looking for a left side engine case,any suggestions?

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 12:39:35 PM »
Get a hevay duty chain press. Its like 30 bucks and works for many chains. You can pick up chain and sprocket combos with a good o-ring chain for bout 100 bucks. Really breking the chain is simple. The press just pushes out the pins in the link you want to remove. With no press you can grind rivots and drive the pins with a punch. Press is way worth it. Actually you may want to be ready for gear changing in the field. That press is real nice, when you want to throw a thirteen on for some serious goat trails.
  Case rubbing? I've heard other guys having that problem, but I think it must be a worn spacer, to let you get too close to case. Could it be mud, twigs and debris winding around it at 10,000 rpm's? Make sure the shaft is tight. Maybe a Renthal or other make of sprocket would be milled different. On mine it is hard to get to the groove for the clip. There shouldn't be any extra room for slop. Could also be the master link... it sometimes has bulging rivots on backside.