Author Topic: Oregon KX500E5  (Read 2687 times)

Offline smudge

Oregon KX500E5
« on: August 02, 2008, 04:47:56 AM »
Hello fellow KX riders. I own a 1993 KX500 that I bought brand new. I mainly trailride it, but I have done some desert racing and rode I.S.D.E. qualifiers on it. It has proven to be an awesome ride, and has never left me stranded. Sadly though, It has sat patiently on it's stand in the shop for the past few years while I got into ATV riding. I bought a new Yam. Kodiak 450 4WD that has been my primary trail machine for the last year or so. Then, last weekend my brother showed up with a new CRF450X, wanting me to go trailriding. I dusted off the old KX, poured in some fresh pre-mix and off we went. Fully expecting my brother on his new Honda to leave me in his roost, I was pleasantly surprised when my 15 year old KX kicked his butt. While my KX500 snorted up rock faces, over logs and through snow drifts effortlessly, he was stalling and falling over. It was during this challenging ride that I fell in love with this bike all over again.
So, it is time to put a new clutch in the old ride( I have been putting it off for years ) it still has the original clutch. I have parts and a service manual on the way. But if anyone has any advise, suggestions, or tips, please send them my way. Any input is much appreciated.
Happy trails!

Offline dsrtrider

Re: Oregon KX500E5
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 05:45:09 AM »
i have a 1994 that i had neglected and just decided to rebuild again.

i suggest the follwing:

fresh top end
rebuild suspension
new chains/sprockets
clutch plates
check/grease or replace linkage/ wheel bearings/etc
repack silencer and check exhaust seal(where pipe goes into engine)
new air filter
repalce any plastic wheels, etc that are worn
new tires

current bike 2007 ktm 300 xc-w - keeping two strokes alive
1994 kx500 -sold-made me the man i am today

1990 kx500-sold
1982 kx250-sold
1979 rm125-sold
1978 kdx125 -sold
1977 xr75 - first bike

stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »
great story  ..i like it when the k5 s come to life ,,,

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:23:07 PM »
Hello fellow KX riders. I own a 1993 KX500 that I bought brand new. I mainly trailride it, but I have done some desert racing and rode I.S.D.E. qualifiers on it. It has proven to be an awesome ride, and has never left me stranded. Sadly though, It has sat patiently on it's stand in the shop for the past few years while I got into ATV riding. I bought a new Yam. Kodiak 450 4WD that has been my primary trail machine for the last year or so. Then, last weekend my brother showed up with a new CRF450X, wanting me to go trailriding. I dusted off the old KX, poured in some fresh pre-mix and off we went. Fully expecting my brother on his new Honda to leave me in his roost, I was pleasantly surprised when my 15 year old KX kicked his butt. While my KX500 snorted up rock faces, over logs and through snow drifts effortlessly, he was stalling and falling over. It was during this challenging ride that I fell in love with this bike all over again.
So, it is time to put a new clutch in the old ride( I have been putting it off for years ) it still has the original clutch. I have parts and a service manual on the way. But if anyone has any advise, suggestions, or tips, please send them my way. Any input is much appreciated.

Happy trails!

welcome !!

respect for your k5.
and its great to read you have it for 15 years,
makes me feel a newbie for having k5 only since okt 05 :-D
reading your story the only thing issue is the worn cluchtplates,correct?
i have a few tips for you bout installing the new set of plates.

1- put he new grooved plates in a bath of gearbox oil the night before installing.
2- put new springs in it ,costs not much
3- new oil  :wink:
4- new clutchcover gasket

good luck!

i have a 1994 that i had neglected and just decided to rebuild again.

i suggest the follwing:

fresh top end
rebuild suspension
new chains/sprockets
clutch plates
check/grease or replace linkage/ wheel bearings/etc
repack silencer and check exhaust seal(where pipe goes into engine)
new air filter
repalce any plastic wheels, etc that are worn
new tires

all of this speaks for itselfs  :-)

but you nor me don,t know the state of his kx500,
if he should follow that list regardless of the present state ,its becoming a moneypit really quick :|
airfilter is always a must offcourse.

by having it 15 years he,ll know what to maintain when and again.
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline smudge

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 03:52:38 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your tips. All good advice. The clutch is the primary concern, it is so worn I had to take the screw-in adjuster out of the perch to get it to engage. Yikes! As for the rest of the old scooter I do keep after it maintenance wise. It has fresh wheel bearings, chain and sprockets and swingarm and suspension pivot bearings. I used the Pivot Works kit for the swingarm and rear suspension, they are good stuff! The forks and rear shock have been rebuilt, I replaced all the internals using parts from White Brothers-again good stuff. As for the air filter, I always keep a spare dual stage filter serviced in a large zip-lock bag. If I need a fresh filter it is always ready.
I will be sure to soak the fiber plates in oil, and I did order a new clutch cover gasket and springs.
As for gear oil, since day one I have used Bel-Ray 80W Gear Saver. As mentioned, the clutch lasted 15 years. I have the cluch cover off and everything is clean and in good shape, the bearings feel smooth and tight. I have had guys tell me that oil is too thick. Any input on oil?
Thanks again.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 09:40:26 AM »
you,re welcome ,

for the kind of oil i say stick with your own .
it has proven itselfs so why change a winning team :-P

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500