Author Topic: Is there a way to ...  (Read 2263 times)

Offline 5dracing

Is there a way to ...
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:41:50 AM »
I've been away for a while but am returning to ask a question.

Is there a way to repair a broken coil wire. I'm working on a kids bike that he saved up his lawn mowing money to buy and it is an oldie. A 76 XL 350. (I know it's a red bike.) It had no spark and I did some testing around the coil and found the wire was broken off. The wire had one strand holding it and the rubber is cracked for about the first 1/2" from the coil. Its 6 volt so getting a new one may be tough.

Hope there's some ideas of what I can do to get this kid riding.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: Is there a way to ...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »
i know that there are companys that can re wire the coil for you,
its not very expensif ,less then a new one i guess

but im in holland so can,t help with adresses sorry :mrgreen:
suc6!!
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:44:10 PM »
If there is a bit of coil wire still at the coil it is possible to splice them.  What you need is a serated nail of the apropriate diam.  Cut the head off and slip each end into the center of the coil wire to electrically join the two pieces. Then use tons of black electrical tape to keep it together.  I have seen these last for 10 years or more.  The nail essentially is like the barbed part of a spark plug cap that goes inside the plug wire to make the electrical connection. Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 12:20:55 AM »
+1 to Cam. Back forever ago, I broke my TLR spartplug wire and used a short nail to splice the wires and electrical tape. It worked for the life of the bike. Infact, not long ago, I talked with the owner of the bike who still has it in his shed. Still runs.

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:22:18 AM »
thanks for the replys. I was able to solder it together. Then I put clear silicone around the wire and let it set up and put heat shrink around it.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!