Maintenance & Technical > KX500 Original

REVLOC auto clutch Q&A from Dustin at Revloc

(1/3) > >>

WRXBRUMBY:
Hey guys I am looking at buying an auto clutch from Revloc. I have read the posts on this topic and would like to add these findings. I would also like to hear from any members who have got one or would like to have one and get a personal opinion for the practical application of this product.  :-)

here are my Q&A's from Dustin at Revloc.

G?day Dustin,

My names Dan. I just wanted to ask you a few questions about your Revloc auto clutch;

1.   Is there any work needed to be done to my 03 kx500 to accommodate one of your clutches. Will it all fit under the stock cover?

No, there is no work that needs to be done to your KX in order for it to work. The clutch will fit under the stock case cover with no modifications.

2.   at what rpm does it fully engage the clutch pack with the standard setup

The clutch will engage at around 1300 rpm. Typically it engages about 300 rpm over idle. However, this is fully adjustable depending on your personal preference.

3.   can you creep up rocky terrain at slow speeds with the clutch slipping and not engaging fully?(according to my throttle position of coarse, say if I have it set just past the friction point of the clutch)

Yes, you can creep very slowly with the clutch slipping ever so slightly. Again, it?s simply up to your throttle hand now. You do not need to modulate the clutch.

4.   Is it a gradual yet progressive engagement over the lower rpm until it is engaged fully, or does it just ride with the same amount of friction until the point of lockup?

Yes, the clutch was designed to feel like you?re letting the clutch lever out, so it?s a very progressive feel, not a linear feel. It will slip a little bit at the lower RPM?s, but the harder you get on the throttle, the harder the clutch locks up. Again, it all depends on throttle.

5.   Have you had many kx500 customers, and if so what was their verdict?

Yes, we?ve had many KX500 customers, and truthfully the KX500 was the very first clutch we ever developed?The inventor of the clutch had a KX500 for his personal bike and that is what he developed it on?It is a bullet-proof fail safe clutch?

6.   With adjustment, spring tension and the like....is your clutch easy to adjust if needed?  do a lot of rutted out hill climbs and need absolute control and enough slippage at low rpm's if needed(hehehe cause the kx500 owns my arms and I cant work the clutch properly when I?m knackered, hence why auto clutch is needed) so is your clutch set up for me out of the box?

Yes, the clutch is super easy to adjust. It takes about 5 minutes at most if you need to adjust it. However, we send it to you ready to go right out of the box. I highly doubt any adjustment will be needed.

7.   Is there a new generation clutch for the kx500 or has the model never changed or needed any refinements?

We have made some small, minor adjustments to the clutch over the years, but the KX500 clutch is a bullet proof model that has worked flawlessly since 2001.

8.   is your kit a complete replacement and does it come with basket, inner drive hub and all steel and fiber plates, and is there anything else needed for replacement?(sorry if your web page already states this)

We ship you a new billet aluminum basket with the drive gears already attached, a new inner hub modified to our specs, and of course the REV-LOC pressure plate assembly which is what does all the work. All you have to do is install your fiber plates and steel plates. They must be OEM Kawasaki plates or the clutch will not work properly.

9.   does clutch cable and lever on engine casing just sit there and do exactly the same thing ?(in regards to the manual over ride

Once our clutch is installed, the clutch lever can stay on the bike and you can over ride it a little bit at lower RPM's, and slow speeds. Once you get above about half throttle, the clutch is locked up so hard that you will not be able to over ride it. However once you ride with the REV-LOC I doubt you?ll be using the clutch anymore.

10.   And what price would I be looking at for the clutch to get to my doorstep in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

The clutch runs 595 USD and shipping is probably going to run close to 150 USD. The clutch only weighs about 6 lbs, but shipping it is expensive overseas.

11.   When you said the clutch is engaged at 1300rpm does this mean the clutch's friction point is at 1300rpm or the clutch is fully locked up at 1300rpm?

The bike will start moving at 1300 rpm, so that is the friction point basically. The clutch will be locked up at about 2200 rpm. The dis-engagement rpm is also 1300.

Danger4u2:
Your price is way off.

http://www.revloc.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=43&category_id=10&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

WRXBRUMBY:
yeah i have seen that price  :wink:

but this is the price given to me not more than 2 weeks ago from dustin. :?

your scaring me now, i might just go and buy it b4 he changes his mind hehehe :lol:

and hey who am i to argue with the owner if he wants to do that price

P.S Sorry for the novel on the first post guys just skip it and serve up some opinions if you have any cheers

ben:
Dang, I think I pad well over $900 for mine a couple of years ago!  Anyways, here are my comments on it, and I have it for sale.  Check out the For Sale section if you are interested.  Mine has probably less than 10 hours of time on it, and I would take $400 or so for it.

For trail riding or hare scrambles, this thing is awesome.  I ride mainly motocross though, and for this I prefer a normal clutch.  If the track was muddy though, I would prefer the auto clutch.

One drawback about the auto clutch on the mighty KX500 is the install.  Because of the caveman design  :-D, you need to do a lot more to install it than with other bikes.  You need to:

- drain the oil
- drain the radiator fluid
- remove the rear brake
- remove the side panel
- remove the exhaust pipe and silencer
- remove the KIPS cover
- remove the kickstarter
- take the side cover off

On a lot of other bikes I have had you just have to lean it over, remove 6 bolts, and you can access the clutch.

Other drawbacks are that you can not jump start the bike, if you flood it or break the kickstarter.  Another thing you have to remember is to always put it in neutral when you start it.  It will start in gear and take off on you fast if you blip the throttle a bit as you are trying to start it.  I have had a close call or two...

Besides the above mentioned minor drawbacks, it is a quality piece of equipment, and depending on the type of riding you do, it could really help you.  After you install the auto clutch, you basically have a 65 horsepower PW50!  :-D

Let me know if you have any more questions.

--Ben 

WRXBRUMBY:
hey Ben
thanks heaps for posting on this topic.

now that I?ve got you I?m going to quiz you hard :lol: :lol: but I will be gentle

i do a lot of the rocky rutted out hill climbs, and single trail goat tracks.

i had a little issue on one of these goat tracks due to my fatigue and inability to work the clutch efficiently :oops:

i just got up on the fuel tank and was hoping for the best on the hillclimb hehehehe.

then i was flipped  like a cheeze omlet like never b4 (my welcoming to the kx500 beast i guess)

Anyway my questions are

even with the abrupt nature of the kx500 power delivery how was the slippage b4 lock up in the tight stuff, did it soften this trait?

What gearing were you running?

And were you able to do 2nd gear tech hill climbs with enough tractable power on tap?

cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version