Author Topic: RE: Broken Collarbone - Best Protection against this is?  (Read 7406 times)

Offline El Snorro

Re: RE: Broken Collarbone - Best Protection against this is?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
Broke my collar bone (left) 3,5 weeks ago.
Was riding again last saturday&sunday. The collabone heals quick, so no big deal :) 8-)

Offline Mohave

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 05:13:23 AM »
Have an artificial shoulder joint that I have to protect.  Basically if I hit the wrong way and my upper arm shatters where it meets the titanium joint I am done riding, and a lot of other things, forever.  Found a good article on Thumpertalk years ago about combining hockey shoulder pads with our chest protectors.  I did it and it works really well.  The hockey guys whack on each other with sticks, and crash hard.  So they have excellent shoulder/collarbone/upper arm protection.  We have good chest/back protection but poor shoulder.  This combines the best of both.  I will post a pic later and you will see what I am talking about.  Mohave

Offline Mohave

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »
So this is a combination of a Fox Airframe chest protector with some hockey shoulder pads from Easton.
You take the front and back of the Airframe and bolt them to the front and back of the shoulder pads.  Much better than the original Airframe and more protection than the hockey pads by themselves.  Had some get offs and no problems, not a real bad one yet but I gotta believe this setup will work well.  Cooler than it looks, not a cool as the Airframe by itself.  Best combination for our sport that I have found to date.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
I'm bringing this old thread back up because I think, at least in my mind, it deserves further discussion.

I tore my ACL, then I bought knee braces, maybe had I had them I wouldn't have tore my ACL. A few weeks ago we had a scrambles at our club, during practice a guy, who had been riding for over 30 years, high sided landed on his head. The wreck shoved his brain stem into his skull leaving him paralyzed from the neck down, he ultimately succumbed to the injury.

So now to my question, Who wears a neck brace? and if so what kind? I recently ordered a Leatt and hope it will offer piece of mind. I'm getting old, and landing on my head just doesn't work anymore, not that it ever did.
I have the Leatt GPX Club III.  Took a little time to get used to it, but now its such  a habit that it feels normal.  Cant give a crash result, but I guess thats a good thing.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 12:56:47 AM »
i worn a leatt neck brace since the first model came out, stopped wearing it about a year ago (the fit was awkward with my chest protector) not sure where or if i could find it again but i read an artical on the leatt a few years later and there conclusion was that the leatt was breaking peoples necks ay lower speed tip overs but saving them at 80MPH rag doll moments, i think i would prefer to walk away from the slow ones and not crash going too fast. The leatt however rides right on top of your collar bone though, seems as if in a hard crash the neck brace would assist in breaking the collar bone vs help it. my theory is based off of "if you wear knee braces your more likely to break a leg in a less traumatic crash but save your knee in the one that counts"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:58:58 AM by Ims Roll »
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...