Author Topic: Down with gripper seats  (Read 2744 times)

Offline BDI

Down with gripper seats
« on: July 13, 2008, 11:15:16 AM »
You know a lot of people seem to love gripper seats. I'm done with them torcherous seat covers. I don't know why people think they need a seat with that much traction. Now don't get me wrong I don't want my butt on roller bearings but I move around on my bike a lot when I'm riding, to the front to the back and then hanging off the side with one leg sticking out in the air and thats all in one turn. After a good ride my butt feels like I was riding with cheese grader underware on. So my buddy tells me you have to try these monkey but silky shorts. I did that for one ride, now I'm wearing these silky shorts that counteract the gripper seat but my pants are stuck to the gripper and my butt is sliding all over inside my riding pants, This is strait retarded. I have a gripper seat that makes my butt sore so I have to wear slippery shorts to keep my butt from getting sore  :|. So I stuck my stock seat cover back on my crf450 and went for a ride yesterday We road 62 aggressive miles. I had my favorite pair of cotton tighty whities on under my riding pants and my butt is not remotely sore. Last weekend was 40 miles with a gripper and my butt was chafed so bad I could hardly walk the next day and I'm a stand up and ride sort of guy. Screw gripper seats they are a fad like parachute pants and I think most people run them because they think it's the cool thing to do.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Down with gripper seats
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:47:01 AM »
 Yep, I've been looking at the high dollar riding shorts. Same deal. My thinking  is there are different grippers. The one I have on the k5 has way too much grip. My 250's older and it has maybe half as much. Its nice to have when it wet and muddy. Thats the only time. Maybe the answer is somewhere between the slick stock and full-grip 16 grit crack ripper. By the way, is that the Monkeybutt deal? crack powder?

kayx250

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »
I have a gripper on my 250 and if gives me the worst case of monkey butt I have ever recieved....the stock seat on my 450 is actually somewhat a gripper too but it does give just enough to were I can ride for two days but after that my a$$ is as you stated, "gradded"... I can get about one half day on my 250 and its all over patna'    :-(

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »
No grippers for me also! They tend to pull my pants down. I wear the riding shorts though. Tighty whiteys tend to get crammed into places their not supposed to go. After a 100 mile enduro in hot humid or rainy weather, not much helps anyway. Especially if you get mud and sand down your pants! If you can stand it, Vaseline helps combat the dreaded "monkeybutt".
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 06:22:57 PM »
I guess I'm the odd man out here.  I have a full grip seat cover (N-Style All Grip 2). I wear boxers under my riding pants and I have no problems with it... but then again, in my early to mid 20's I used to put in 40+ miles a day on a mountain bike 4 to 5 times a week and never needed any kind of riding shorts with inserts or gel seat cover. Just a bare bones light as possible rock hard saddle.  I guess thats a whole new meaning to the term "Buns of steel"  :lol: Besides, when you are full throttle, crossed up in four wheeler ruts climbing some of the steep a$$ tree shoots at the dunes in Oregon with both feet off the pegs and your front wheel in the air, a little extra grip in the seat is definitely a good thing. I could ride three days in a row all day long at the dunes and even when the 4 wheeler guys were tired out I was begging for more. My motto- "I'm a machine... I don't take breaks".  And my other- "I ride like I live... hard and fast"  :evil:

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline bunk

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:22:26 AM »
little spandex riding shorts are key.  either the ones made specifically for dirt bikes or even the ones for road bicycles work just fine.  Its a night/day difference... and at the end of the day your ace doesnt feel like someone took sand paper to it.  my 2 cents...
01' 500

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:05:42 AM »
Been there a few times myself, try the medicated Gold Bond powder back there and on yer nuggets.  That feels great! :wink:

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »
No grippers for me also! They tend to pull my pants down. I wear the riding shorts though. Tighty whiteys tend to get crammed into places their not supposed to go. After a 100 mile enduro in hot humid or rainy weather, not much helps anyway. Especially if you get mud and sand down your pants! If you can stand it, Vaseline helps combat the dreaded "monkeybutt".

There is a product called "NUPERCAINE" it's a 1% or 2% Dibucaine ointment specifically for your crack.  I SWEAR BY THAT STUFF!  Extends my riding time tremendously.  I consider myself more sensitive that most in terms of that area and this stuff works great.  BTW... it does not take much at all... in fact... putting too much can make things feel uncomfortable in a different way.   Just enough.... and you're good to go... and more importantly good to go much much longer.
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 01:19:35 PM »
Sounds great can you snort it :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding I took my gripper seat off and my butt feels great thanks anyhow. I bet the guys using gripper seats will be all over it though, good info.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:35:01 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!