Author Topic: Silencer repack?  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Uzi9mm

Silencer repack?
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:11:07 AM »
Need tips on how to repack the stock silencer?  What does everyone recommend?  Stock from Kawasaki?  Or aftermarket?   Does it matter?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:16:22 AM by Uzi9mm »
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline stock500

Re: Silencer repack?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:04:37 AM »
Dude it is really easy.  I have a stock silencer, and I just bought a bag of silencer packing took it apart and re-wraped the core.  This is as easy as cleaning your air filter.
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:00:50 AM »
Thanks, I'll pick up an FMF repacking kit.   

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
I have always just used pink fiberglass insulation. Free from the attic.  Long ago I used to use steel wool. Worked excellent and never gave me any problems but then someone showed my how easy it is to get it to burn.  IMO pink works just as well as a kit and lasts about the same. I find that the eventual degredation in sound muffling comes more from oil/soot/water impregnation than actually getting blown out.  Cam.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:26:27 AM »
Need tips on how to repack the stock silencer?  What does everyone recommend?  Stock from Kawasaki?  Or aftermarket?   Does it matter?

I like Moose offroad packing. The key to a lasting re pack job is to get the packing TIGHTLY wound. Wrap the packing as tight as possible around the inner core, and then run a layer of masking tape around the packing. This keeps the packing tight, and allows you to neatly and easily slip the core down into the silencer
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:10:15 AM »
Are you sure Polar? Maybe I just messed up. The directions on the FMF packing said not to be too tight. It did point out that masking tape would hold the packing from slipping on the outer core. FMF stuff was stringy, not like insulation. I have heard of people using Water Heater insulation, but regular insulation seems less like packing even more than that.
  There has to be some performance do's and dont's, to packing these right, since there is noticable power differences between silencers? The tighter the better? :? :? :?

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »
Hillclimb, what silencers have u tried and what kind of pipe are u running?  Just wondering what kind of performance differences u noticed.  When u changed your pipe did u run a stock silencer for a while and then switch to an aftermarket?  What was the difference then?  :?

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 03:23:21 AM »
 I run an FMF Shorty on my 250. It has noticeable power improvement over stock silencer. I am sure that PC pipes are awesome for kx's. Alot of FMF fatty fans on other makes of bikes, but the fastest kx hillclimbers and most knowledgeable guys on here, all agree that PC pipes work the best. I am just not sold on their silencers. I use the FMF powercore        ( no shortys for 500's) for the k5. I have ran the PC platinum with great results. I recently put a stock pipe back on it, (still have FMF silencer) because I found it for 35 bucks and it was brand new. I will be be buying new PC Platinum ASAP, because I lost alot of hit everywhere. Stock is great for trails, but lacks the thousandths, that I need. I cut a silencer in half last year, where it didn't stick past the number plate. VERY LOUD, but worked well. The only adverse affect to that may be running temps. I was warned that I may be flirting with temp problems, but I don't race endurance type racing, so was no issue at all.
  On the 250, I ran PC pipe with stock silencer. Had to raise the needle to smooth out hard hit during mid. Ran way better, but improved even more with FMF shorty silencer add. I have to switch back to stock to ride with spark arrestor(doesn't fit the FMF) and can tell power difference.
  My thoughts, which may be wrong, are that if it makes it louder, its probably making it faster.
 If it makes it more quiet, you can ride it in more places. 
 Anyone have an opinion about how tight packing should be wound?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:50:24 AM by Hillclimb#42 »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 04:27:23 AM »
I am no "packing expert" but I was told years ago that tight packing lasts far longer than a "loose" pack job.

Kinda just like packing crack jelly in the bung to prevent monkey butt..... a tight pack is a happy pack...    :-D :-D
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart