Author Topic: The dredded KX500 subframe  (Read 7266 times)

Offline Ramski

The dredded KX500 subframe
« on: March 27, 2004, 04:54:13 PM »
Well, I'll be replacing my third subframe here. The last two were AC Racing aluminum units. The fit great but don't fare well when looped. There is a guy here in SoCal that makes nice steel ones for the Team Green guys that are much stronger and under $200. (OEM is $400  :shock: ). As soon as I get my hands on one of these I'll post it.
Danny Lesovsky

Offline demographic

Re: The dredded KX500 subframe
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 09:57:52 PM »
Quote from: Ramski
Well, I'll be replacing my third subframe here. The last two were AC Racing aluminum units. The fit great but don't fare well when looped. There is a guy here in SoCal that makes nice steel ones for the Team Green guys that are much stronger and under $200. (OEM is $400  :shock: ). As soon as I get my hands on one of these I'll post it.

Hmmm, steel rear subframe, wonder if I could get anyone to ride pillion if I put back pegs on mine :twisted:

FastKX500

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 06:39:42 AM »
yea my factory subframe cracked..nothing a little weld wont fix lol

Offline Ramski

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 03:58:40 PM »
Just ordered my subframe from True Torch Welding in Santa Ana from a guy named Johnny Severin. It was his last one for a while. $175. I guess he used to do a lot of work for Rocket Rex Staten who lives not far from where I am.
Danny Lesovsky

mikesmith

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 08:06:36 PM »
Is it square or round tubing?

Rick

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 02:25:30 AM »
So, where exactly is everyone bending their subframe?  I have never bent a subframe, and only cracked one on the top over the airbox.

Rick

FastKX500

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 01:15:35 PM »
thats exactly what happened to mine..it cracked in 2.  :(

Offline Ramski

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 01:33:08 PM »
Not sure on the square or round tube frame.

The first aluminum subframe I had got bent up and to the right (looking from rear) and cracked around the pipe loop. The second, I'm not sure yet as I havn't seen it. I rode it, bent it and gave it to my brother to store while I went to Korea and he said he'd take the bike apart while I was gone and let me rebuild it when I get back. This weekend I start the rebuild and I'll see how bad and where it bent.
Danny Lesovsky

fast500#12

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 11:56:57 PM »
I looped mine and completely broke off part just behind the pipe loop. i made a three piece bracket for a repair until i could make a new sub frame or buy one. made out of .050 t-6 aluminum four bolts and lock nuts. cheap and really strong if you are looking for a long term temp fix.

teamgreen500

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 05:40:18 PM »
Actually...

(And as Rick knows...)

Team Green re-welds the stock part and adds a piece of steel (via two to four rivettes) where the chain rubs.

Been there...
Done that...
Have bent sub's due to some interesting get-offs...

Manny

99KX500twofast

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 04:03:41 PM »
OH YES, this last 4th of july I bent mine on the left side where it supports the fender, was able to bend it back into line and it works fine. However i was delayed in starting the repairs due to the little get off causing me to have to get 2 screws in my kneecap and a new acl in left knee. Had a heck of a time getting the K5 started so I could ride back to the house. I'm doing ok and the 99K5 is still awesome.