Author Topic: New Pics of my K5  (Read 3366 times)

Offline GDubb

New Pics of my K5
« on: May 12, 2008, 03:11:31 AM »
Ive been slowly changing the looks of my K5 and I took it out to wash the dust off of it and see it in the daylight so I figured I'd share some pics.

How I bought it except for the paddle tire...

How it is now with the newer fenders and tank...

From the front with the new '03 KX250 front fender (latest addition)...

From the rear with the '93 KX250 rear fender and no more purple tank...

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: New Pics of my K5
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 03:32:43 AM »
Sweet bike, GDubb. No mud flap or am I jus not seeing it? Clutch lever is scary looking too. I always hold on with thumb and index and clutch/brake with the rest of my fingers. Whole-hand clutching can bite you sometimes, when the bike hooks up and makes you hit the gas too much, its hard to open hand to grab clutch when holding on for dear life. :-D :-D :-D

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:15:40 AM »
those updates are looking sweet. i'm diggin' the new look.  MADDOGGY

Offline ericac

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
oh man, nice- just when i decided the straight fender mod wouldnt be worth it for me. looks good! ive gotta get around to that

Offline GDubb

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:52:54 AM »
Sweet bike, GDubb. No mud flap or am I jus not seeing it? Clutch lever is scary looking too. I always hold on with thumb and index and clutch/brake with the rest of my fingers. Whole-hand clutching can bite you sometimes, when the bike hooks up and makes you hit the gas too much, its hard to open hand to grab clutch when holding on for dear life. :-D :-D :-D

Nope, no mud flap. When I bought the bike a few years ago it didnt have one but I was riding at the dunes in Oregon back then so I wouldve removed it to run the paddle anyways.  I do have a shock cover on it though to protect it from the sand. I havent ridden at all this last couple years since the move to Washington so I just havent gotten around to replacing it.  My girlfriend is getting things in order so she can finance her first bike (KX100) and then we'll be doing mostly woods riding since that is what is close by around here in which case I will definitely be replacing the mud flap.  As far as the clutch lever... I dont notice it much when on the bike but it does look way out there in the pics.  I had an experience like that on my old bike... RMX250 that was improperly jetted. I was standing up approaching a 40'+ tabletop in mid third gear when the carb cleared out, the front end came straight up and then all of a sudden I was riding a wheelie pinned WOT in third haulin' arse towards the jump and I couldnt do anything. Couldnt let off the gas, couldnt clutch it... nothing.  I had to just let go and rag-doll. I was a little banged up but but not bad. The bike however, took the jump... end over end... landed upside down... SMASH CRASH BOOM BANG... some pretty good carnage on that one... bars, levers, subframe, rear fender, seat cover, silencer.

-G

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline GDubb

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »
oh man, nice- just when i decided the straight fender mod wouldnt be worth it for me. looks good! ive gotta get around to that

That reminds me.... I'll post my pics of the rear fender trimming in my gallery so you can use them for reference.  Been meaning to do that for a while now,

-G

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
The rear fender seems likes it's angled just a teensy-weensy bit too high up.  It kinda makes it look like how those chinese bikes look with the fenders that obviously don't match the bike. 

If that rear fender were only rotated like 1-to-3 degrees downward in angle... it would look bitchin'.

---
Ditch the gas vent hose and pickup a Billet Gas Vent.  They're only like $15 and look real clean.

Pickup some Mother's polish from AutoZone and do-up your swingarm, kickstarter, and gear shift, rear brake levers.  It's amazing how much nicer it looks after that polish.

---

Which companies seat cover is that?  Is it a Gripper Cover?  How much? Buy from whom?

---

-G
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:38:53 AM by TheGDog »
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline GDubb

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »
The rear fender seems likes it's angled just a teensy-weensy bit too high up.

This came up before back in the day and I posted a pic of a KX250 right next to my KX500 for comparison and the angle is the same. It's just the silencer on the KX5 that makes it look that way.