Author Topic: thickness of moose spacer  (Read 3847 times)

porky

thickness of moose spacer
« on: October 04, 2003, 06:32:02 AM »
Just had a thaught while i was at my friends engineering shop,writing code for his milling machine,and i spoted some alloy plate in different sizes on one of the racks.How thick are the Moose spacers? has anyone made there own or tried,does the power charecteristics change with the thickness.Im sure if i write the code for the milling machine he would let me cut as many as i want just for the price of the plate,and most of the plate was scrap.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 07:35:03 AM »
When I put mine on I measured it and it was 0.408 jus a little over 3/8 of an inch!

I think I paid $35 for mine and even with a milling machine setting my shop it is just to cheep to worry about! If you got the time its a simple part to make! These days I mostly just buy stuff because I would rather be riding!

Alan :D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 10:37:15 AM »
I scanned the spacer before I mounted it on my bike. Just be patient, as soon as I'll find the picture I'll post it here. I will messure the thickness and post is (in milimeters) as well.

/John

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 02:08:40 PM »
THe spacer is 10mm thick and the shape of a reed cage gasket.

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 06:47:57 PM »
Quote from: Paul
THe spacer is 10mm thick and the shape of a reed cage gasket.

Nice one, Ta muchly :D

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2003, 09:12:50 PM »
Here's the scan I made.

HULKSTER

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 02:04:30 AM »
You made that? If so...how much for a second one?

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 07:17:37 AM »
Sorry for the confusion, I bought it - and scanned it on my HP ScanJet before I mounted it. I actually ordered it from Mr. MonkeyButt in the US. Couldn't find in here in the UK...

BTW. Thanks MonkeyButt! (It was your Dutch employee who took the order. Nice chap - deserves a raise!)

/John

Rick

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 10:05:49 AM »
Yup, whittled my own out of a piece of 3/8 aluminum on the mill in the garage (doesn't everyone have a mill sitting in the garage?).  The only difference was that I cheated on the construction.  My thought was that the only part of the spacer that was critical was the interior.  As a result, I used a gasket to match the inside of the plate, but did not carve out all of the dips and humps on the outside of the plate around the bolts, just left the outside straight.  Since clearance is not a problem, the plate slide right in place.

I also just finished a chain guide similar to the Moose chain guide.  Too cheap to buy them, and have tons more fun making stuff like this.  

I guess I should also post some pictures of the quick disconnect foot pegs I built for the big KX, huh?  I built them to ride my wife, as she loves to ride, as long as she isn't controlling the bike.  I have taken her on some pretty knarly rides, up to 6 hours long (rode a lot in Moab, including poison spider for those of you familiar with that area.  Rode her up and down everything, which was an amazing task, again, if you know the area).  Heck, throw in a blanket, and you never know what might happen while your taking a little break.  If there is any interest, I snap a few pictures, and post.

Rick

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 10:18:47 AM »
If you have the VForce reed cage then the little dips and divots are necessary, else the cage won't sit down on the spacer  :(

Rick

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2003, 10:50:33 AM »
Now if I remember right, the only reason is so the little tab on the top that says V-Force will go over the Moose spacer.  You could always grind than off  :wink:

OK, I'd probably machine the top of the spacer just to keep the V-Force tab...

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 10:54:05 AM »
hahahahaha, thats the ONLY reason :lol: