Author Topic: clutch cover replacement  (Read 2121 times)

Offline iamsofaking

clutch cover replacement
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:06:46 AM »
So, I finally got my clutch hub for my 86(thank you, Don), and I've got it on, and I think that I have most of the parts in roughly the right spot, but I can't seem to wiggle this lever into the right spot.  I think that the Clymer calls it the 'Exhaust Advancer'.  I have pushed and pulled and wiggled, but can't seem to get humpty dumpty back together again.  Is there some kind of trick that I am missing?
I took a picture of the offending bit, but I'm not sure how clear it is.

Offline don46

Re: clutch cover replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:16:45 AM »
It did work before right? If so I would have to say you don't have the powervalve govenor hooked up properly inside the clutch cover. The rod is adjustable, you can loosen the nut on the end of the shaft and put the shaft wherever it needs to go, but if it was right before and you didn't change anything but the basket then I'd say you have something wrong under the cover.  when you grab the actuator arm can you move it out, you should be able to, there will be some spring resistance.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:29:22 AM »
That is the exhaust valve operating shaft.  There should be a small pin on the vertical arm (Shaft Lever) that fits into the groove on the horizontal arm (Valve Operating Rod).  There should also be a nut at the pivot point of the shaft lever which I think is the same nut don46 mentioned.  When you tighten that nut you need to do it while pushing the valve operating rod all the way in and tighten to 87 in-lb.  I just replaced the gasket on mine a couple weeks ago.

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 04:46:06 AM »
Thinking about this, the newer units have the nut, I don't think the 86-87 do,the adjustment is the nut halfway up the arm.  I think you have something under the clutch cover installed wrong, attached is a breakdown maybe that will help.

Offline iamsofaking

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:44:06 AM »
The picture doesn't show it, but there is plenty of movement on both the lever and the rod.  The trouble that I am having is getting the pin into the groove.  I suppose it is good that they don't just fall together, because I would not like for them to fall apart, but I don't know how to get them together.  It seems like they should come together during the clutch cover install, but I haven't been able to get the clutch cover on without having the governor in the cover already.  Is that where I am getting it wrong?

Offline don46

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 06:14:34 AM »
The governor needs to be in the cover to install, but the arm is in the wrong position in your picture, it should be in toward the cylinder. To get the pin in the spool remove the circlip on the end of the kips shaft, remove the spool, use a 10mm wrench on the arm and pull it away from the cylinder, then put the pin in the spool and as it return slide it on the kips shaft, then put the circlip on. the alternative is to remove the bolt on the governor shaft, slide the pin in the spool then tighten the bolt.

Offline iamsofaking

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »
Right again, Don.  Thank you.  I took off the clutch cover and took a second look at the governor.  Sure enough, the arm was not connected right.  I fixed that and everything slid together just so.  I am close to getting this thing back in the woods.  :-)