Author Topic: Dealings with max power, questionable???  (Read 2189 times)

Offline stroke.n.smoke

Dealings with max power, questionable???
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:20:21 PM »
My cylinder, crank, and head arrived at Max Power on April 17th.  It might be shipped out this week, I'm a little disapointed to say the least.  They seem to have been dragging there feet with my engine, one week there waiting for the rod kit, but everything else is ready to go, the next week there waiting for a piston and everything else is ready to go...  26 days laters...  still no motor.  Is there no 86mm Wiseco's in North America right now, come on.
  The other thing is this, I tell them I want the cylinder ported for more mid to top end power, they tell me you can't get any more power out of this motor...  I also wanted them to cut the cylinder head and tighten up the squish but try to leave the compresion the same, they tell me not to because its best left alone, (there is nothing you can really do to the KX 500 motor, it's pretty good the way it is) is what he says.  I tell them to copy the port in the old piston (stewarts piston mod) that I sent with, he tells me he wouldn't recomend that, wiseco makes a pretty good piston and they know what they are doing.  I have seen a '90 CR 125 piston and the port looks identical but a little smaller of course.
I am not bad mouthing them at all since I haven't got my parts back and inspected them yet.  So today when I called to see if the piston arrived yet he said it did.  I told him about this guy (no names) getting 20hp over a stock 500 with higher compression and some other modifications and he didn't believe me at all, there is no way you can get that kind of power out of the 500...  I am a little disapointed with my dealings with max power.  I thought they were into two-strokes, the guy on the phone totally blew me off and told me the tech (that knows these things) was out of town.  So I guess my 500 will remain a stocker for another 5 to 10 years...

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Dealings with max power, questionable???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
i was down there last week, i think i seen your cylinder,head there.

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 06:29:57 PM »
This is the kind of crap you run into when you own a 500. :x I went through it for years if you really want your bike fast you have to figure out how to do the work yourself. Every A-hole you talk to thinks they know it all and your bike is allready to fast for you. I went rounds with Rick Peterson before he sold his plating opp to max-power. He told me I was stupid for wanting to make my bike faster because people win championships all the time on kx500s that are detuned from stock. I told him I suppose you think Jhon Force is stupid for having 8000 horse in his his funny car because Ivan Stewart won baja with only 700 horse in his trophy truck. I'm not desert raceing the bike I'm drag racing It :x I ran into road block after road block trying to make my bike faster looking to others for help. The only person I can say ever trully helped me is  Stewart,Thanks Sewart. I even went to a machine shop In California one time that did pro-cicuits work for them, I sead hear is my head,hear is my money cut it this way and they flat refused to do the work for me :? Then I sent it to RPM and they ignored what I asked them to do and cut it how they saw fit and then could not tell me how many cc the head was or what my cr ratio was. I didn't get my head cut how I wanted it until I sent it to stewart. Funny thing my bike screams,I was right they were wrong. The people you need to talk to about making your bike faster are right hear on this web site.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

stewart

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:30:10 PM »
thanks brian for the kind words..all i  think about is how to make my k5 run better...the people like you on this web have been very helpful thats why i live on this web page,, ive learned from all of you guys .. thanks stewart

stewart

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »
sorry to here tha there closed minded stroke and smoke ..i use max power to plate  cylinders i have 3 of my own stock  k5 cylinders there now for  plating  ,,let us no how they come out  on your stuff

Offline stroke.n.smoke

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:49:13 PM »
i was down there last week, i think i seen your cylinder,head there.

might have been, but there is another one there getting a bigbore and they get mine and that one confused all the time when I talk to them.  The amount of phone calls I have made you would think they could get it straight by now.  I know, the volume of cylinders that must go through that place is alot.  I cleaned up the porting myself before I sent it down there, but then wanted them to actually port it, change the port timing not just a clean up.  I figured they would know what to do.  That motor has been around a long time.  I guess I should have done it myself.  I didn't raise the transfers or touch the port timing at all, and the guy tells me ya its pretty hogged out as it is.  I guess if you scratch the surface of the ports a little it means its ported to him.  I even went through the trouble of degreeing the ports and drawing up a port map so I could see just what timing they changed it to.  I snapped lots of pictures before it went.  What a waste of time.  At least I got it cleaned up because I am sure they would have told me it wasn't worth it.  Mabye there right about that but it makes me feel a little better seeing everything cleaned up and smoothed out.  

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 12:33:05 PM »
I bet if you asked them to detune it they would be more then happy to do that for you.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline stroke.n.smoke

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:49:27 PM »
Ya, they just phoned me today, left a message since I was at work with my cell phone.  They want to get the shipping straightened out and I guess the address I gave them yesterday wasn't good enough???  another two days delay, not going to see it this weekend now for sure.  I tell ya, can you drag your feet any slower.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 01:40:15 PM »
i would rather be in your shoes then other guys with K5. Other guys spending big money for lower hp. save your money on other mods.

Offline stroke.n.smoke

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »
Ya I guess your right, I do have faith in the workmanship and quality.  I have the suspension valved and sprung for my weight and riding style, all the other bits like bars handguards and fancy levers, etc.. I have already.  I wouldn't mind a hydraulic Magura clutch, there nice.  I am sure it won't be long after I install the new clutch/springs I will have it.  I just want to ride, I already missed two supermoto events and numerous trail rides.  At least I have been out Trials riding alot.