Author Topic: EZ Pull Clutch System  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Uzi9mm

EZ Pull Clutch System
« on: May 25, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »
Anyone here runnin the EZ-Pull Clutch system from Moose?  Or the easy pull Pro Raptor somthin from MSR?  Which is a better deal?  :|
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Texas Champ.

Re: EZ Pull Clutch System
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:07:48 AM »
Uzi the guy I bought my X-5 from already had an E-Z pull on the bike when I bought it .So I can't speak for the pull requirements without the E-Z ...but with it I can say the pull is comparable to a nice 250 clutch....on another note , if you lengthen the clutch arm you could essentially not accomplish anything if the lengenthed arm causes the clutch cable to "drag" on the guide tube at the end of the cable sheeth and of course the cable will eventually cut a groove and that will make the drag increase....km

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:28:57 AM »
I bought one. I thought it was junk. I haven't tossed it, but don't plan on re-installing, ever. Check-out the Magura Hydraulic Clutch. Its way more $$$$, but worth every penny.

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:19:37 AM »
I put one of these on my 500 just before I sold it. I liked the decrease in pull that occured with it but the engage/disengage point changed also. It was much closer to the bar and you have to keep a fine adjustment on it. I now have a KTM 525 with the hydraulic setup and like everything else on a KTM theres more maintenance on it. I just did a fluid change in the clutch and you need to use mineral oil. A pint of that stuff from Maguara is $15.00
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:09:18 AM »
It's pretty much junk, I never had one on my 500, but I did have one on my race CR250, which had extra strong springs. I contest with the hydraulic clutch setup.  The clutch was easier, but definately no feel in the clutch and had to pull it way in or adjust it way out. There is nothing about it I liked, I did use it for a few months though before selling it to a friend and buying a megura setup.

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:15:01 AM »
About that Mineral Oil in the Magura set-up.... is that unique to Magura ($15/pint) or is it the same mineral oil you can buy at the local drug store? Its there, 100% Mineral oil, $4 per quart. Tell me its different stuff.

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 03:24:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I figured it was too good to be true.  I'll start saving for the Magura now.  8-)

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 03:39:20 AM »
There are EZ-Pull levers that have different cable insertion points, initially, I was interested in those.  But Moose has a deal that hooks inline with your clutch cable.  Its a box with a lever inside and you use your old clutch lever and perch.
Unless, I misunderstood somthing.  Has anyone tried this?
 http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1151&level2=1176&level3=1178&level4=1180&product_group_id=5359

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
Uzi, thats the system I had.

As far as the mineral oil goes Its probably nothing special but I went with the oil for the brand.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 01:38:31 AM »
 I think its one in the same Uzi. It adds 3-4 inches of slack to cable, but uses all existing set-up, and mounts to perch. It made my new cable unravel from end, because of the extra arcing. It has three different leverage points. It doesn't mess-up stroke of clutch pull, but doesn't make it way smoother either. It has alot of rubbing friction inside mechanism. Here's a pic of my k5 with it on, (before it ruined a new cable, and before I broke down and shelled out for the Magura, which is 1000% better than ever before!!!!)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 05:15:10 AM »
Another thing, can you adjust the "throw" of the clutch handle.  I like to leave my 2 small fingers on the handle bar and clutch with the index and middle finger.  Will that method work with the Magura?
KX 500 Rider

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 06:58:20 AM »
Thanks Hillclimb, thats the one I was looking at.  For the price, I figured it was too good to be true.  I'll get the Magura.

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »
Its adjustable. They call it "self-adjusting", but I think they are referring to the consistency of hydraulic pull vs. a cable. Either way its supposed to stay the way that you set it up, but it does have an adjustment screw to get the engagement point in the sweet spot. My 500 was wearing me out with the clutch pull, especially holding it in for any length of time, but now is twice as easy to pull, and three times as easy to hold there. I'll get some pics shortly.