Author Topic: bike storage  (Read 4850 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
bike storage
« on: May 06, 2008, 01:09:16 AM »
I'm putting my 500 in mothballs.  It needs some attention (i.e. $$$) and as long as my ex wife is sucking money out of my pockets, I'm not going to spend $$$ on the bike.  I have a perfectly nice KX250 that I bought a couple of years ago and I haven't spent any quality time with it.  So......

What all should I do to the 500?  I've drained the fuel tank and the carb.  I'll put fresh oil in the case.  I suppose I'll squirt some oil in the jug too.  What about the cooling system?  Anything else?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: bike storage
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:11:57 AM »
exhaust plug is a must!!!!!!! i.e. mud daubbers, mice, condensation...ect. Also good to bring piston to TDC to close-off ports.

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 03:47:19 AM »
Here at the School I have a small engine guy and he stores all our equipment after each season. He brings everything to TDC, removes the plugs to allow any compression to release, (just a personal thing for him) then oils the top and covers the exhaust and intake with duct tape to keep even the small critters out. It never takes more than a couple of cranks to make things run for the start of any season.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 05:37:18 AM »
i wouldn't drain all the gas from the tank and carb. i would leave a little in the tank with stablizer in the fuel. and make sure the carb is full of stablized fuel. in my opinion if left dry the fuel petcock o-ring seal will dry out and could crack and the gaskets and seals in the carb can dry out as well causing you problems. just my opinion only, MADDOGGY

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 06:33:41 AM »
I'm putting my 500 in mothballs.  It needs some attention (i.e. $$$) and as long as my ex wife is sucking money out of my pockets, I'm not going to spend $$$ on the bike.  I have a perfectly nice KX250 that I bought a couple of years ago and I haven't spent any quality time with it.  So......

What all should I do to the 500?  I've drained the fuel tank and the carb.  I'll put fresh oil in the case.  I suppose I'll squirt some oil in the jug too.  What about the cooling system?  Anything else?

Draining the fuel tank is great. I would remove the gas tank and wash it out. I would remove the carb and completely drain it and flush it with contact cleaner to ensure no fuel is left behind. Gaskets and 0-rings are not going to dry out and fail. Fuel stab. is only good for a few months with today?s fuel. Drain the cooling system completely (removing hoses and maybe using compressed air to help push left over water out). I would use fogging oil for the engine. Fogging oil is best if it is spray into the carb throat while engine is idling so the entire bottom end gets coated with oil. So this needs to be done before draining and removing the fuel tank and carb. If the bike is going to be stored inside on a stand I would every few weeks get bike off stand and work the suspension to lube seal and bushings. It might be best to run engine and then drain gear box oil. The fiber clutch plates would absorb oil and cause issues when you started using the bike. I would lube all pivot points and cables and coat all metal parts with wd-40 or something similar. Everything just depends on how long it will sit. Do you think it will sit only for two months or two years? Where will it be stored?
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:53:57 AM »
i wouldn't drain all the gas from the tank and carb. i would leave a little in the tank with stablizer in the fuel. and make sure the carb is full of stablized fuel. in my opinion if left dry the fuel petcock o-ring seal will dry out and could crack and the gaskets and seals in the carb can dry out as well causing you problems. just my opinion only, MADDOGGY

this is of course only my recomendation if it will only sit 6-8 months. if it's going to sit for years you may want to disassemble alot of stuff and pack it away in an even temperature environment. remember that the manufacturer intended these to be ridden frequently, this is the best insurance that all the parts will remain lubricated. i just hate to see a bike not get ridden. poor k5.  MADDOGGY

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 11:52:18 PM »
I don't know how long it'll be sitting but I expect it to be a year or more.

Of course there's always the chance that the bored to 520cc engine might find it's way into the 250 chassis.........   :mrgreen:
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
OR you could loan the bike to each of the members for a week or so, everyone could flog, ( I mean gently ride ) the bike for a week or two and pass it on. That way no rust will form, no varnish, no gum. I figure every third rider will have to install a new rear tire.After everyone here has had thier turn, you will be ready to get it back and ride. And you could rest assured, no one here would overrev it, wheelie it,loop it. We would always stay away from trees, rocks and rivers. What could go wrong ?
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:43:17 PM »
Come up with a $1500 security deposit and come get the bike!
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 02:31:06 AM »
OK, this will sound lame but..... is there a drain hole for the coolant or do I just pull a hose?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 02:40:06 AM »
Drain bolt. It is low on water pump. There are two there kinda close to each other. Be ready, once you open it up it shoots straight out. It will drain without chugging if you pull cap first. Don't know if you have to drain that, as long as its all coolant.

Offline KXT500

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 09:27:20 AM »
Come up with a $1500 security deposit and come get the bike!

where are you at  :-D

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 01:28:36 AM »
I'm in Steubenville Ohio.  When can I expect you?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 05:24:01 AM »
What year is your bike?
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 05:28:52 AM »
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change