Author Topic: Stacking 2 (1.0) Head Gaskets?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline 3Razors

Stacking 2 (1.0) Head Gaskets?
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »
I've heard that Team Kawi and also in eric gorr's book that by stacking 2 of the 1.0 head gaskets it gives the kx500 alot more overrev and smoother down low.  Has anyone done this or can verify?  I would love to pull some more rpm's up top but am a little scared of stacking the gaskets like that.

Offline bigbellybob

Re: Stacking 2 (1.0) Head Gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:19:33 AM »
I'm no expert but i don't see how it will help. if you were staking base gasket i could see some more rev's ( exhaust port would be higher ) but lifting the head will just lower compression and increase squish.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:11:27 AM »
The over rev it gives is due to the decreased compression.  Smoother bottom end is just due to less power.  There are better ways to acheive both. Maybe not as easy, but better.  Also, sometimes low compression overrev is misleading, bike feel revy, controllable and fast but a drag race proves it is slower. Cam.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 06:22:29 AM »
I've heard that Team Kawi and also in eric gorr's book that by stacking 2 of the 1.0 head gaskets it gives the kx500 alot more overrev and smoother down low.  Has anyone done this or can verify?  I would love to pull some more rpm's up top but am a little scared of stacking the gaskets like that.

Are you sure you don't mean double stacking base gaskets??  This is an old skool trick for raising port timing, increasing overrev, and pushing the powerband farther up in rpm's.....

Never heard of stacking head gaskets....... I guess you will never have to worry about detonation!!  :)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 08:54:18 AM »
I stacked 2 base gaskets on my 88 KX500. Seemed to smooth the power a little. I didnt think it was bad before the mod either.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.