Author Topic: PC pipe question  (Read 2407 times)

500GUY

PC pipe question
« on: April 16, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »
On my 91 500 It came with a fairly new pro circuit and the pipe fits so close to the right side frame down tube that the water pump to lower right rad hose has no extra room, it is snug fit between the pipe and the frame. While it is not blocking coolent flow it is pressed tight to the pipe. Is this normal with a PC brand pipe or is mine tweaked?

Kev

Re: PC pipe question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:14:49 AM »
I have an FMF Gnarly pipe and it also is very close to the hose so I'm going to assume that it is the nature of the beast with the aftermarket pipes and the larger expansion chambers. All of my pipe mounts are there and in good shape so can't put blame there. I don't know about the PC pipe, but if you have contact maybe you should make sure all of the mounts are good and not broke or bent out of position. I put another piece of hose around my hose to shield it from the heat. I have had no problems. Now wait for the rest of the guys to chime in and see if it is the norm. :-)
Kev

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:25:05 AM »
Shielding was my thought also,  the extra hose wrapped at the contact area sounds like a good idea.  Here's a picture of 500GUY's bike.
KX 500 Rider

500GUY

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 07:26:14 AM »
I've had a good look and all the mount brackets appear fine and the pipe slips on fine with no issues of installing it, all points including the silencer all inline up just right.

500GUY

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 07:29:49 AM »
Thanks for posting the pic. I think as this appears normal on a KX with this pipe I will wrap the hose with some Header wrap to try to prevent hose wear and to help stop heat transfer to the cooling system.