Author Topic: Not happy with my '03 500 power curve...  (Read 8916 times)

HULKSTER

Not happy with my '03 500 power curve...
« on: October 03, 2003, 12:49:29 AM »
Ok...here is the deal. I have had 500's before. Older ones.

They were all smooth from low to high.

This new 500 has a DEAD bottom and it really comes alive from mid to top end in each gear.  1st and 2nd run out real fast like a 250. 3rd is a lot longer...and 4th is longer than third. 5th is usless where I ride. I couldn't even pull half of 5th on a long strait on the powerlines....lol...never even getting in the power.

To be in the power on this bike you HAVE to be in MID-TOP....period.

In plain english...IT HAS A POWERBAND....not POWER EVERWHERE like the old 500's. You gotta ride it like a 125 to go fast....ever try doing that on a 500? lol

I NEED my BOTTOM end...period.....I ain't no pro!

Ok...the Moose Reed Spacer is supposed to give better bottom. I believe the FMF Gnarly pipe is supposed to be a low-mid pipe.

Anybody else here have these issues before?

I know a 50 is in order in the back too...

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 01:48:10 AM »
Thats strange, my '01 isn't like that at all - completely stock. My race bike has a FMF Fatty, reed spacer, VForce Delta II. various other mods internal and it pulls like a freight train from bottom to top. With a flywheel weight on my '01 it'll lug like an XR650. With that said... I'd betch there is nothing wrong with that bike that a little jetting and carb tuning wouldn't take care of.

What's in it now?

Main
Pilot
Needle
Air Screw turns
fuel / oil ratio
type of oil (Golden Spectro, Maxima, etc...)

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 03:18:37 AM »
I have a 01 KX5 and compared to other big bore 2 strokes I thought it had a pretty good power band. I just sold my old 87 YZ490 and it truly felt like a 125 with all most no low and mid and would jerk your arms out of the sockets when it hit the power band. The problem I had with my KX 5 was starting and bogging down on the low end of the power band and also fowling plugs. :evil:

I took Paul's advise, well mostly! I installed a read spacer and put a FMF Gnarly pipe on it with the stock muffler. d**n was I ever surprised! :shock:  No more bogging now more fouled plugs, mush easier  and to quote Paul, "It pulls like freight train all the way from the bottom"! I also find that I am riding 1 gear taller all the time. It will pull wheelies in all 5 gears at the touch of the throttle. Even in soft sand with my  210 lbs and all my gear it is hard to keep the front end down. :D I am just a weekend warrior so I didn't think I needed the new reed setup.

So get a reed spacer on ASAP and you will be amazed in the difference! If you change pipes you will need and extra OEM rubber mount( buy extras the break often)  for the additional bottom mount. I think the members are fairly split between the FMF Gnarly and Fatty, I chose the Gnarly because it is made of a heaver gage metal and I am a desert rat.

Alan :D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Sharc

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 04:29:53 AM »
Weird....my 2002 pulled clean and strong stock with factory jetting at 0 - 3000 foot elevation....I'd look at the Carb/Air Filter/Plug and see if all looks ok...maybe you over oiled the air filter and it's choking...? (Seems silly but I've seen it before...) Or the choke's on...? Seems like something crazy must be wrong cuz that bike should pull like a funny car from 0 rpm to redline....I've had other Honda/Husky 2 stoke 500's and this bike would stomp them all....Look for obvious stuff before aftermarket $$...

Sharc

HULKSTER

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 05:51:26 AM »
I will report back on my carb settings after.

The filter is fine.

Oh....it pulls from the bottom....just that it pulls MUCH harder from mid to top. It won't come up in 3rd, 4th, or 5th without being "in" the powerband (mid-top).

teamgreen500

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 06:44:11 AM »
As they say in the South:

"That ain't right!"

Manny

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 08:58:47 AM »
If you're missing power on the bottom but the mid and top is awesome try stepping up on the pilot jet - one size at a time - and moving the clip down one slot on the needle. I think with a pilot that is one step larger (58 instead of 56) and richening the needle one clip setting you are going to start being much happier :wink:

HULKSTER

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2003, 02:47:04 AM »
Quote from: Paul
If you're missing power on the bottom but the mid and top is awesome try stepping up on the pilot jet - one size at a time - and moving the clip down one slot on the needle. I think with a pilot that is one step larger (58 instead of 56) and richening the needle one clip setting you are going to start being much happier :wink:

EDIT: I just took it apart. There is a 58 in there. The clip is on the 3rd groove.

NOW WHAT? Try a 59?

HULKSTER

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2003, 03:39:03 AM »
The temp here has been averaging 50 degrees F. BRB....going to shop for a #59 to have on hand.

HULKSTER

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2003, 04:42:37 AM »
OK...back! They didn't have a 59 or a 60.

My jetting actually calls for a 58 with all my factors (500 elevation 50 degree temp); which is stock according to the book. The air screw is 1.5 turns out. The clip is on the 3rd groove.

All Textbook.

I went to shop...spoke with my buddy the mechanic. He said that he doubts that the jetting itself would not make me have a DEAD bottom. He said he thinks I should check the compression. I don't have a compression tester but I just know the compression "FEELS REAL GOOD" when kicking her over. I've had 500's before.

I was also told to check the powervalve to see if it's sticking.

I was thinking maybe to drop the clip one notch on the needle. What do you guys think? That...and check the owners manual to see about the powervalve. And yes...the 2003 does have one. :)

HULKSTER

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2003, 10:34:09 AM »
After waxing a fresh 93 CR500 6 times in a row I'm happy now....lol.

I will get my bottom with the reed spacer, an exhaust, and V-Force reed setup.

Got video of me waxin' him too....

Rick

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 09:51:07 AM »
OK, I am getting in on this post a little late, and feel really bad, but thought I could offer one more tip that will help.  (In fact I probably should have added this to the tips section a long time ago  :oops: )

Remove the pipe, and clean the pipe mounting port inside the cylinder as well as the headpipe where the O-rings ride.  Use carb cleaner on a rag (don't want carb cleaner inside the cylinder), or laquer thinner.  Once cleaned, put a bead of high temp black silicon over the O-rings, and reinstall the pipe.  Let it dry overnight, and viola, you instantly have more bottom end power.  The reason is that since combustion continues upon exit of the exhaust gas, any loss of pressure at the head pipe with decrease the effect.  At high RPM, no problem, but at low RPM, a noticable difference.  

Now, you might be thinking that the next time you pull the pipe you have to deal with all the residual silicon.  Not so, as it will peal right off the pipe, all ready for the next installment.  Don't believe this will impact bottom end power?  Try it first and let me know what you think.  Heck, high temp silicon is only a few bucks, so the test is cheap.

Rick

HULKSTER

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 10:09:03 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I will let you know how it works out on my NEW setup. I ordered a Pro Circuit Off Road Platinum Pipe and a Pro Circuit Factory Silencer for it today. Next week I will get the V-Force 2 reed setup and the reed spacer.

I just ordered the exhaust today. Will have it all by weekend.

My 14/50 gearing and Renthal sprocket should be here by Thursday at latest.

I got a feelin' I'm in for a decent change...

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2003, 10:40:25 AM »
Hold on to your a$$ :wink: :lol:

Rick

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2003, 10:48:12 AM »
WOW, 14/50.  Might want to start your first ride in 2nd gear, and then work your way down to first.  Lean way forward, and ease out the clutch on that first time in first gear.  I'll bet you still get a huge wheelie. :shock:

Rick