Author Topic: break in procedure  (Read 2196 times)

Offline kawish

break in procedure
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:30:58 AM »
hi, i just finish a complete motor rebuild(top end, replate, crank.....)
can someone tell me the right procedure for break in the motor with a forged piston......
i know all the people have different technique but it will give me a good idea...

thank you

Offline KXcam22

Re: break in procedure
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »
Here is what I do.  I heat cycle the engine 4-6X before riding to relieve the stresses and wear it in a bit.  By heat cycle I mean start it and let it idle until at operating temp then stop and let it cool down.  I typiclly do this in my back yard over a few days while I am mowing the lawn or other misc chores.  Check the torque on the cylinder and head and then go riding. Take it easy (no lugging and no revving) for the first few hours.  Then gradually start riding harder.  Biggest thing is to make sure the engine is nice and warm before you start riding.  I use the same oil/gas mix ratio as I always do.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:40:08 PM »
no synethic oils.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »
I used to believe that no synthetic thing but I have broken my last few engines in on my usual Belray MC-1 with no issues.  With a 4-stroke I have definitely experienced problems. This is a different issue, but I have had break-in seizures using 32:1 mineral oil but none using 50:1 synthetic. However, after saying all that, it won't hurt one bit to break it in using non-synthetic oil if that is the preference. What does the dyno say? Cam.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:27:12 PM by KXcam22 »

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:32:07 AM »
I just let the bike to idle to get warm. Run 1 or 2 laps on mid rpm, 2 laps 3/4 rpm. Than just rev it out slowly. This is with 125 and 250's, my fourstroke its 2 minutes heating up, in 1lap to 3/4 rpm. Second lap full trothle.
Never had problem's.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF