Author Topic: poor running  (Read 5602 times)

Offline don46

Re: poor running
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »
86, 87, and 88 had same KIPS setup, 89 -04 is different.
 There are marks on the drums and shaft, although they may be worn off. In the idle position the the shaft should be into the cylinder, and when revved the shaft extends out of the cylinder. This doesn't mean they are in time, if you remove the exhaust pipelook into the exhaust port the sub ports should be closed withe the KIPS drums, if you pull the rod out the drums will rotate and open the sub ports, if they are not that could be your problem. Also the carb was a Mikuni, it worked OK but not as good as the Kehin, anyway it would be my guess that the jetting is off or the KIPS is not funtioning correctly. What do base the jetting be on from, the bike runs like crap so how can you be sure the jetting is on?
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

fstkx500

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 06:20:28 AM »
ok so i got running a little better by changing the clip on the needle jet. took her out for a ride and could feel some power but the clutch started slipping so i adust the cable but still not good. when i bought her the dude gave my a ton of new parts even a clutch kit so i thought id throw it in quick last night. i get the cover off im looking at the basket and i see the some of the friction disks are stickin outa the basket so i start tearin her down and 5 of the friction disks r broke in about a million peices and the plastic gear for the power valve is almost gone!!!!!!! so i call my local bike shop and they tell me that the gear is no longer made and its a 500 so who cares they dont need power valves

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 07:16:13 AM »
been there done that :|

when i was young and in ignorance of  clutch maintenance,
i had a cr 250 where the plates came out like you described..
that engine of yours is probably very heavely abused by that fellow with the sam kind of ignorance :|
so i,d say check a real kawi mx dealership instead of the local allround shops

and for the complete info ..if kips is offline your 500 goes like s**t,even a fresh 80cc kx could win from it,
good luck  :-)
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline GDubb

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 01:34:26 PM »
its a 500 so who cares they dont need power valves

I wouldnt bother going to a shop that ignorant again and I sure wouldnt want to support them by putting money in their pocket from purchasing their merchandise either. Just my 2 cents.  I would definitely try to find a real Kawi dealership with a full service and parts department if I were you.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline don46

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 03:11:48 PM »
So the gear may not be available for the 87, get one for an 04. I thought the 87 had a steel gear and the newer plastic. The other option is Ebay, you could get the whole governor assembly and swap it out. Parts for the 88 and older are going to be harder to get as time progresses, I have a 88 cylinder, and was looking for the KIPS drums, only to find that they have been discontinued. This is a good chance that this is your power issue.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

fstkx500

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 06:59:17 AM »
so i just found the whole govoner assembly on ebay but its for 87 kx250 anybody know if there the same?