Author Topic: Rear Shock Leak!?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline stock500

Rear Shock Leak!?
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:23:24 AM »
I just changed the springs on my bike front and rear.  After one ride the rear shock leaked all of the oil out, and I am assuming that the Nitrogen went the it.  I have never rebuilt a rear shock, but people that I have talked to say that it is much easier to just take it into the shop.  I would rather save myself the money.  Do I need to have a pro rebuild it?
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline GDubb

Re: Rear Shock Leak!?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 03:52:07 AM »
When I first bought my KX5 mine did the same thing the first time I started it after getting it home from the dealer. It just puked out all the shock oil at once.  I had a dune trip coming up and I wanted to make sure that it was ready to go with no problems so I paid the shop to rebuild it. There is a great write up on rebuilding a rear shock. I think its a sticky at the top of the KX500 forum. If I had to do it again with time to spare I would save the money and do it myself. It seems like it would be easy enough and those that I have talked to that have done it say that it is easy enough. Check out that sticky if you havent already, then you will have an idea if its something you want to attempt.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:05:34 AM »
I believe that you need to invest in some tools to do the job. Its under a 100 smacks at my guys shop and I've watched it done on the front and rear seals. It looks complicated, with special tools and an experienced guy will set it up for your weight, riding style and conditions. Plus he might show you for 100 bucks and then you could decide if its worth it.

Offline stock500

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 02:28:54 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I will check into it. 

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:37:47 AM »
It's actually quite easy, the hardest part is finding access to nitrogen. Cam.

Offline stock500

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:37:08 AM »
Do you mean re-charging the nitrogen or letting it out.  I looked at the shock rebuild sticky and it seems like you need some special tools to get the job done.  I can get a seal kit with a bottom out bumper from Rocky Mountain for 30 bucks and the local shop will do it for 70 bucks in labor.  As long as I don't need anything else I should be able to get it done for about 100 bucks.  I think it is worth it, because I only have a limited amount of tools.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:23:53 PM »
I wanna say it cost me $140 (few years ago and a bad memory) and I had JUST bought the bike and hadn't even ridden it yet so the dealer supposedly gave me a discount on the rebuild so if you can get it done for $100 I would say it was a good deal for sure.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -