Author Topic: End of an Era  (Read 4909 times)

Offline KXcam22

End of an Era
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:51:47 PM »
It was a sad time today when my 92 KX500 was wheeled away in the back of it's new owners truck.  I owned the bike since new and it has proven to be a phenominal workhorse and do-it-all bike.  The bike practially sold itself, starting 1st kick after sitting for 4 months (winter). After a quick test ride on my street the new owner had such a huge grin that he couldn't wait to take it home.  I think it went to a good home. Time for me to move on. Cam.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: End of an Era
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:26:27 AM »
I still want you to hang around here, anyone that's had a K5 that long has to have a vast amount of knowledge that we might need to tap into once in a while.  Good luck on your new bike.  Is the new owner going to join KXRiders?
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:36:12 AM »
Yes.  I gave him the website and he poked around as a guest before he bought the bike.  In my racing years I used to go through a minimum of 1 bike a season, sometimes two.  I can't belive that I owned my KX500 for 15 years! In all that time I never found it lacking for anything or any type of riding. Possibly one of the best bikes ever built. I went out to my shop this morning and looked sadly at the empty spot where it used to be - but then I saw my new bike and all was better. Cam.

PS you won't get rid of me that easily. I have been poking aroung a few red 4-stroke sites and they all suck badly. KXriders is such a better site that there is no comparison.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 02:49:25 AM »
It was a sad time today when my 92 KX500 was wheeled away in the back of it's new owners truck.  I owned the bike since new and it has proven to be a phenominal workhorse and do-it-all bike.  The bike practially sold itself, starting 1st kick after sitting for 4 months (winter). After a quick test ride on my street the new owner had such a huge grin that he couldn't wait to take it home.  I think it went to a good home. Time for me to move on. Cam.

man what a uniqe situation.
when you bought it new 16 years ago,
that k5 is part of you  :lol:
it must indeed feel like a kind of marriage-ending
i can only hope that my k5,s keep the juice so long!!

you are a great example of a dedicated KX500 rider
what is your new toy may i ask ???
must be something spectacular  :evil:

freak
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:17:30 AM »
New 2007 CRF450R.  I am building it into a single track weapon like my KX was.  I can only hope that it proves to be as versatile as the KX500 was.  I tried to stay green but there was $3000 diff between the red and the green. Cam.

Offline stock500

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »
All good things must come to an end.  The K5 is a great bike.  I am lucky enough to have found an 04 in very very good condition in Oct of 07.  I think I will get years of use out of this bike.  The new thumpers are great bikes, and I am sure that it will serve you well. 
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline KX500freak

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 06:34:47 AM »
New 2007 CRF450R.  I am building it into a single track weapon like my KX was.  I can only hope that it proves to be as versatile as the KX500 was.  I tried to stay green but there was $3000 diff between the red and the green. Cam.

you mean that the kxf was 3000 more then the red one?
or do i miss the point here cam ?

any way lots of fun is guaranteed with the good red 4 popper

Offline KX500freak

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:27:10 AM »
edit:
i red the story allready ,
not so nice dealer ok ..thats too bad then  :roll:
anyway forget i,ve asked  :lol:

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »
Wow...  just dropped in to see whats been going on and Cam is outta the KX5 biz...   those pesky four strokes are fun.  They are nice when doing long trail rides because of great gas mileage, being able to get gas anywhere you want, and not having to carry premix.

My KX5 (and other sand bikes) are up for sale also... getting outta the biz myself.

Sly

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
(Cough!, Cough!.. Wusses... Cough!, Cough!  :-D)

Ok... well.. I will say this though... the newer ones probably would be a teensy-weensy bit easier to stuff into a berm.
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »
I've gone to the 4 stroke scene also. I got an 05 KTM 525.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline kx666

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 08:35:14 AM »
whats going on here? i don't get a chance to look at this site much for a few month and every one turns to the dark side??!!?!??!!

did everyone get tired of goig fast??  :cry:   :cry:

Enjoy the new bikes, i hope to see you guys hanging around the site

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 07:38:31 AM »
After riding the 525 for a while I noticed I was able to handle it better in turns. I was able to rail turns that I could'nt before and thus added some speed and lowered lap times.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 11:51:50 AM »
The biggest difference I notice is how much power I can apply comming out of corners without any spinning, sliding etc.  Quite noticeable.  The KX power is vastly supperior for tricky hills though.  I just wrenched on a heavier flywheel to try to make it better.  Haven't tried it yet.  Last time riding I saw a guy with 99 K5.  I instantly wanted to go talk to him but I am sure he would have thought I was weird. Cam.

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 02:50:44 PM »
there is no replacing the K5. i remember stewart let a guy that was riding at the chats on his new 450 kawa. ride his 01 K5 . the guy almost fliped it on his way back across the area . he pulled up with a new out look on try to out run it with his kx450f . he said i was just going to pull a little whellie when it came up faster than he thought it would lol . welcome to real power. no substitute for cubic inches.or 2 stroke POWER.thats the rule.
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube