Author Topic: Tire Tread Wear  (Read 3214 times)

Offline mustangfury

Tire Tread Wear
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:50:14 PM »
I have a '93 kx 125 and the front tire tread is wearing funny.  It is a Dunlop tire and i hate it but the nubs are wearing at an angle and not flat.  Is there a reason it is doing this or is it normal?  I have been riding a little bit on pavement in a parking lot so that explains the wear but is it normal to have it wear at an angle?  Any comments are helpful.

Also, is there a specific brand of tire that you recommend that holds up well or that you just really like?  This dunlop tire has nubs break off of it like crazy.  It really bites.  I have a pirelli on the back and it is great.  I love it.  It holds up amazingly and it gets great traction.
1993 KX 125

Offline BDI

Re: Tire Tread Wear
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 01:42:20 PM »
It's normal especially if you have been trying to do stoppies or just breaking real hard. The knobbies bend when you are breaking real hard and they wear off at an angle. To look at the tire they look like they are wearing off at the wrong angle but that's because the knobbies are on the bottom of the tire when they are getting worn and then when you look at the knobbies when they are on top of the tire it looks backwards from what you would expect. I have noticed this real bad with the new Dunlops they are a very soft compound.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 03:46:27 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline mustangfury

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
THanks.  That's what i thought.  I just wasn't sure if there was some adjustment that i had never heard of that was out of alignment or something but you cleared things up. 

I really don't like dunlop.  I think i'm going to look for a pirelli for the front tire when i go to replace the set.
1993 KX 125

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 05:59:08 AM »
Get something real expensive to use on the pavement.
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 06:03:43 AM »
Dunlops do great for their uses, like dirt. Pavement + Dirtbikes isn't the best idea for a number of reasons.

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »
THanks.  That's what i thought.  I just wasn't sure if there was some adjustment that i had never heard of that was out of alignment or something but you cleared things up. 

I really don't like dunlop.  I think i'm going to look for a pirelli for the front tire when i go to replace the set.
May I suggest maxxis.

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:01:10 AM »
I hope you saw the sarcasm in my post.

Dunlops do great for their uses, like dirt. Pavement + Dirtbikes isn't the best idea for a number of reasons.

+1 
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline SMPKX500

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »
And I get bent out of shape after three to four rides on fresh rubber.  The 500 sure likes rear tires.  I'm running 773 Dunlop's.
They were designed for Southwick full sand.  While not a paddle tire they perform very well in sandy conditions.  Riding them on the road would make me pissed. :x
500cc Thumper Smackdown!

Offline mustangfury

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 03:54:12 AM »
It's not that i ride the whole time on the pavement but where i ride there is a long paved drive way and i ride down it sometimes but i still spend most of my time in the dirt.

May I suggest maxxis.

I have heard that maxxis are pretty good.  Thanks.

1993 KX 125

Offline BDI

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 04:21:34 AM »
I had a new dunlop on my crf 450 and it was so soft that I was having to run 18+ psi to keep from getting pinchy flats. The knobs were wearing off at an angle from hard braking in general. I went through two of these tires before I switched I was burning up one front tire to one rear tire, I'm used to a three to one ratio on tires.