Author Topic: Making the K5's power more usable??  (Read 6175 times)

Offline Mick

Re: Making the K5's power more usable??
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 03:46:50 PM »
i want a motor that stops reving when you shut the throttle.

Well that's a little like having your cake and eating it too.  I ride a CR and KX500, and I'll tell you neither bike does that.  But the CR by design does so a hell of a lot more than the KX.  But it's a double edged sword.  I'm sure I don't have to describe how the Honda feels in comparison.  It's not as tractable as the KX.  The heavy crank and flywheel prevent the motor from spooling up as fast.  Producing the majority of the KX's legendary tractor prowess. Consequently it prevents the motor from slowing down as well.  The best way to avoid this is to keep the motor out of the upper rpm, where it takes the longest to calm down.  I can't answer for sure how they increased the weight, if I remember right they just made the two components heavier.  But between the years '90-'92 Kawasaki increased the weight of those parts to tame the bike down.  Much like Honda added the buick silencer, decompression scallops and wider gears.

Again I ride both red and green machines.  So I don't have a problem with either one.  I just choose not to ride the KX when I have to change direction very often.  The KX500 would be a great platform engine for one of those 2moto snowbikes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:01:33 PM by Mick »
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
the cr 500 has a heavyer crank. i hate to end your party. there is a reason why both motors don't have the same power delivery.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 08:06:51 PM »
You think that the cr steers better kx mick?
There both not bad, a hell lot better than a ktm 525!
I ride the kx more on the pipe so it hits les when the rpm climbs. Works greet in heavy sand tracks, for hardpack its a bit more scarry.

You're never going to get your KX to run anything like Goebers non power valved, steel sleeved Honda
I have seen honda's with power valve's, George Jobe had one. And Stefan Everts rode it 10 years later or so at Namur in his 250 frame.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Mick

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 02:41:01 AM »
I have seen honda's with power valve's, George Jobe had one. And Stefan Everts rode it 10 years later or so at Namur in his 250 frame.

Really...well I wasn't aware of that.  I'd sure like to have a look at one of them.

Kaw rider, this isn't an argument, or even up for debate.  A person doesn't need scales to feel the difference.  An '01 CR crank is a 1/3 the weight of an '89 KX (and lesser still than late model KX's).  I don't know where you miss read that at, or who tricked you into thinking otherwise.  My postal scales don't lie or leave anything up for interpretation.

there is a reason why both motors don't have the same power delivery.

Yes the KX's power valve has much to do with it's broad torquey delivery of power.

Like I said this isn't an argument.  You can post why you think the CR crank is heavier and that's fine.  I probably won't say otherwise.  I provided legit information as to the comparison of an '01 CR and '89 KX.  If I put both cranks on the scales and posted a picture somebody is still bound to disbelieve.
1989 KX500

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 04:21:40 AM »
mick
it's cool. it doesn't matter, because these motors are set up complete different from the head to the ignition.

i don't know what year cr 500 crank that i have, maybe they did some changes at one time.

Offline Mick

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 05:02:38 AM »
Yes they are.  And Kawasaki certainly knew how to build one wicked fast usable one at that.  I don't think they've won as many championships on any other bike as the KX500.
1989 KX500

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 06:14:21 AM »
Really...well I wasn't aware of that.  I'd sure like to have a look at one of them.

That would be great Mick, Maybe its a kx replica :-D :-D
It looked like normal bore and stroke but with HPP. Everts run the 10 year old exhaust on his HRC 250/500, becase nothing new would fit. A former 500GP rider told me about it. So we take a good look at the beast.

Dutchie

Proud owner of a KX500AF