Author Topic: what press should i buy  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Kawasakinut

• s#@t plus two equals eight
what press should i buy
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »
i'm thinking of buying a press form harbor frieght. just wondering what tonage i should buy. they have several different models big and small any ideas?   
htpp://www.youtube.com/jimvpa

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: what press should i buy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:24:36 AM »
My own press has a distance of six and a quarter inches between the cross rails of the bridge. I have had problems with smaller presses not being able to fit some automotive transmissions between the cross rails.  It is a nice feature if the bridge can be lifted with a winch to reposition the pins, my own press does not have this, but my next press will have it. My press is supposed to be rated at fifty tons, I think that is overkill and I am sure that twenty tons would be just fine. My press has two pedals, one when pumped moved the ram quickly  but doesnt have as much strength, the other is like using a lower gear, it moves the ram slowly but has tremendous power.
  Since I drive a KX500 you can note that I like to go a little overboard, so my opinion is to buy the biggest ,strongest press within your budget. You will probabaly own this for the rest of your life, so get a good one, your heirs will appreciate it.
  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:06:02 AM »
I use a 2 ton arbor press from Grainger  http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4Z329  If you need more than 2 tons for a MX bike, something is wrong with the part your working on.
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline Kawasakinut

• s#@t plus two equals eight
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 12:15:39 AM »
                jeeks i forgot about thearbor presses. guess that can be used for just about anything, swingarm, cases, linkage?
htpp://www.youtube.com/jimvpa

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 01:26:46 AM »
                jeeks i forgot about thearbor presses. guess that can be used for just about anything, swingarm, cases, linkage?

Yes.  The last swingarm I did, a couple bearings were being bitches, so I slid on a 5 foot pipe to the handle.  "Who's the f-ing Boss NOW?"  :-D
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900