Author Topic: Best suspension for 500  (Read 2857 times)

Offline kxraptor

Best suspension for 500
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:49:55 PM »
I race a kx500 in Desert hare scrambles events.I feel the stock suspension is at its end of my riding ability.I already have a stabilizer on the bike.Will having new springs and valves for the fork and shock,Racetech, make that much of a difference.

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
Re: Best suspension for 500
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 02:47:51 AM »
FWIW.....

the handling of every 'used' bike I have ever owned has always been improved by replacing the springs and fluids.....just putting in new 'stock' stuff helps.

After you work with an experienced suspension modification company you will think you have died and gone to heaven. The experienced company will be able to 'customize' the suspension for the type of riding you do, your 'agression' level, and your weight.

Thankfully the guy here in Milwaukee even keeps three ring binders in the shop that has the 'specs' for my supermoto suspension. Twice I thought I could 'fix' something inthe front end during practice, only to call Ed at lunch so he could read back the 'proper' settings that he originally sent me out of the shop with!

the other great part about the KX history is that all the trial and error has surely been run through and the suspension guys have seen dozens if not hundreds of examples.

just trying to give back a bit of learned experience after all my nitrous questions. :-)

Mark
Mark
for more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike, www.wolbrinkrace.blogspot.com

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:59:53 AM »
Mark
Mark

those d**n hair lipped dogs are after me AGAIN!!!
for more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike, www.wolbrinkrace.blogspot.com

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:48:19 AM »
I would agree that replacing the fluids makes a big diffference, any bike we ride alot I change frequently and as a minimum of yearly. Personally I like the latest stuff, is it better?  Even when 500's were produced they were at least 1-2 generations behind the 250's and 125's. I would say the later suspension is better, is it worth the investment? to really get the suspension to work it needs to be set up for the individual, so just installing newer suspension doesn't mean it will be better. Unless your seriously going to race you may be better off revalving  the exisiting stuff.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

DEZADX

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
Having a qualified suspension expert do a revalve, spring, and a fluid change should make a world of difference.  I thought mine was good.  Now it is very good.  As stated above, when your suspension is directed at your skill and weight, its Christmas everyday you ride!

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:27:48 AM »
A friend of mine(who ride twice as fast than me) has a Kayaba A kit, Cost ?6500.
Doesn,t works for me because it?s not directed to me!!

Proud owner of a KX500AF