Author Topic: WHAT FUEL OCTANE ARE YOU RUNNING?????  (Read 3408 times)

decible2003

WHAT FUEL OCTANE ARE YOU RUNNING?????
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:49:18 AM »
Gents,

I have a 2001 KX500 with Pro Circuit factory 304 pipe, boyesen rad valve, stock carb., head ported and polished by Max Power along with a new chrome plate job by max power, wiseco piston and hot rods rod.  I rejetted the bike using the instructions posted on this website (THANKS FOR THE HELP).  I am running VP 108 leaded race fuel and the bike never overheats and really runs well.  I always heard that leaded fuel is better for thte 2-stroke because of the lubricating effects of the lead....???  What fuel are you running???  Octane???
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:00:24 AM by decible2003 »

Offline mg82

Re: WHAT FUEL OCTANE ARE YOU RUNNING?????
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »
vp Q16

Color: Yellow
? Oxygenated: Yes (Highly)
? Motor Octane: 116
? Research Octane: 120+
? Specific Gravity: .716 at 60? F

runs hard and smells exquisite

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 11:35:33 AM »
 I run 92 octane unleaded. It is my belief that the unleaded leaves less deposits than leaded and if that is true then it is actually "cleaner".
  It is also my belief that tetraethyl lead is added to prevent predetonation and detonation. For thirty years I thought that lead lubricated the valve seats in a four stroke engine. That is why you are supposed to use hardened valve seats for unleaded. But I recently found out that the lead fuel when burned, creates oxides and halides. The oxides and halides, actually harden the cast iron surface of the "soft" valve seats and create a surface hardness. Then if you switch to unleaded fuel the valve seats will survive.  Now all that soft valve seat stuff only applies to 50's and 60's cars, but I thought this might create some debate.
  It is also my belief that higher octane fuel when ignited burns slower than lower octane fuel, thus preventing the detonation. I think that the specific gravity is the measurement of the fuels explosiveness and that is a source of power gain. I do not know how the fuel is measured for its ability to bear oxygen.  I am hoping many others will post the facts so I can learn about specific gravity and oxygen.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline redlined_KX500

• redlined_K5
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
VP C12 for me. Highly recommend by Eric Gorr after he worked over my cylinder, head and piston. Plus I run the thin metal head gasket for a 1.3mm squish with full advance on timing.

I tried a 50/50 blend with pump gas but bike wasn't as snappy.

I'm interested at what some other riders in forum run with modified motors for MX type riding.
Don't be scared

stewart

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:26:44 PM »
read    vp  fuels web page for all the right answer.......read it ..learn it..belive it.. they are  right on there CLAIMS I HAVE TESTED WHAT THEY SAY...

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
KX 500 Rider

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »
uuggg ugggg pump gas fast race gas hauls azz. seat of the pants . cleaning of the drawssss.
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube