Author Topic: new parts for old 5hundy  (Read 5044 times)

Offline iamsofaking

new parts for old 5hundy
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:30:38 AM »
Is it possible to get a new clutch hub for my 86 kx500? I tried to order one from Bike Bandit, but they sent me a message that it is discontinued. I know that Kawasaki doesn't sell them anymore, but does anyone out there have a connection for NOS Kawi parts? I really want to get this bike back in the sand.
Thanks.

Offline don46

Re: new parts for old 5hundy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:54:42 AM »
Are you talking the inner hub or the Basket? I think for the basket you may be able to use one from a newer bike, the hub your kind of stuck, the splines are different on your shaft thatn the newer ones and it onlys uses 5 springs rather than the 6 on the newer. Whats wrong with yours? Ebay may be your only answer, I've seen the hubs on there before. This is going to be a ongoing issue with the 86, 87, and to a certain extent the 88, parts are going to become harder and harder to find, the 89 to 04 won't be a problem for awhile yet but I'm sure there will come a point in time some of those will be hard to get a well.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline iamsofaking

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 06:20:07 AM »
Are you talking the inner hub or the Basket? I think for the basket you may be able to use one from a newer bike, the hub your kind of stuck, the splines are different on your shaft thatn the newer ones and it onlys uses 5 springs rather than the 6 on the newer. Whats wrong with yours? Ebay may be your only answer, I've seen the hubs on there before. This is going to be a ongoing issue with the 86, 87, and to a certain extent the 88, parts are going to become harder and harder to find, the 89 to 04 won't be a problem for awhile yet but I'm sure there will come a point in time some of those will be hard to get a well.

I need the inner hub.  I bought an 87 from ebay, but the splines were different.  I keep looking, but haven't seen an '86.  I can find new baskets around, but have had no luck with the hub.

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:20:38 AM »
What about changing the shaft to work with the hub you got? Sounds like it could be a good upgrade if it would work.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:23:48 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:52:33 AM »
What about changing the shaft to work with the hub you got? Sounds like it could be a good upgrade if it would work.

I was thinking the same thing, the 86 uses a needle bearing opposite the clutch, the newer use ball bearings, hmm maybe the 87 uses the needle to, I'll have to look at that, or you may be able to use the shaft from a newer unit and use the neddle bearing, gotta think the cases weren't changed drastically.

Offline iamsofaking

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:56:36 AM »

I was thinking the same thing, the 86 uses a needle bearing opposite the clutch, the newer use ball bearings, hmm maybe the 87 uses the needle to, I'll have to look at that, or you may be able to use the shaft from a newer unit and use the neddle bearing, gotta think the cases weren't changed drastically.

Interesting.  I have been searching for this hub for a year now.  I wonder how tough it would be to get that shaft out.....

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:59:21 AM »
You will have to split the cases.Not a big deal really unless you don't know how or have the tools to do it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:01:36 AM by BDI »

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »
Looking at the fiche, it looks like you could use the shaft from an 87, and of course you'd have to use all the clutch compnoents as well. I don't think you could use the newer shaft from say 89 and up, it doesn't have the snap ring groove and probably isn't long enough. Maybe the 87 clutch is the same as the newer clutches, didn't look at that, if thats the case, you could replace the shaft and get a cluth setup off ebay cheap. I had a 86 hub, but one of the spring towers was broke off, I might be able to weld it back on. Whats wrong with yours?

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 10:52:04 AM »
I have fixed spring towers before by drilling the tower hole all the way through the hub then counter sinking the back side of the hub for a flat head phillips screw then I just screwed the tower back on from the back side with red locktite. Not exactly the way I like doing things but it worked.

Offline don46

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »
Great thought, they really only hold the spring in place.

Offline iamsofaking

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »
Looking at the fiche, it looks like you could use the shaft from an 87, and of course you'd have to use all the clutch compnoents as well. I don't think you could use the newer shaft from say 89 and up, it doesn't have the snap ring groove and probably isn't long enough. Maybe the 87 clutch is the same as the newer clutches, didn't look at that, if thats the case, you could replace the shaft and get a cluth setup off ebay cheap. I had a 86 hub, but one of the spring towers was broke off, I might be able to weld it back on. Whats wrong with yours?

One of the spring towers broke off.  Maybe I'll try the flathead screw technique.  That would at least get me going until a hub comes up on ebay. 

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 05:02:33 PM »

One of the spring towers broke off.  Maybe I'll try the flathead screw technique.  That would at least get me going until a hub comes up on ebay. 

If you do this make sure you get the screw tight and use red locktite you want to use as long of a screw as possible with out interfering with the spring retaining screw. if the screw was to come out it would make a real mess. The bike I first did this to lasted for years with no problems.I have never done this on a kx500 you will have to make sure that there is enough unused tower to thread a screw in from behind once the spring screw is in. you might have to shorten the spring screw a little. If you do it you should post some pictures of the repair. You know you might be able to run a long screw all the way through the tower from behind and put a nut on the front side.You may need to grind the nut and screw down a little if need be to clear the clutch cover.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:14:27 PM by BDI »

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »
you might be able to take the old hub to a machine shop and get them to build one for ya. should be able to get the right demensions to have one cut.
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline don46

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 05:09:21 AM »
you might be able to take the old hub to a machine shop and get them to build one for ya. should be able to get the right demensions to have one cut.

The sleeper has awakened :-D have you been hiding or what, haven't seen you around in awhile?

Offline iamsofaking

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 07:06:11 AM »

i am confident that a machine shop could make me one, but have never looked into doing so before.  I am worried that it would turn out to be a very expensive fix.  has anyone done this? 

In the meantime, I ordered one from cheapcycleparts.com and they haven't kicked back my order yet, so I am hoping that they have one somewhere.  If not, I will definitely look into the machine shop.  Drilling it out would be a last resort, but this thing is too badass to just sit for so long!