Author Topic: Nitrous and things that go bang in the night!  (Read 3558 times)

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
Nitrous and things that go bang in the night!
« on: February 16, 2008, 06:09:55 AM »
After seeing the nozzle on kaw rider's intake boot, I figured I had better do some learning/searching on my own before I asked any more questions. :roll:

Well I found this website and wondered what the 'nitroussi cognisetti' thought about it? Do the FAQ pages seem acurate?

www.nitrous.com

Is this guy's system similar to what is being successfully run on the kx?

Any of the UK guys know about this guy or tried the DIY system.

Wow....now there are lots and lots of question from me.  :lol:

Thanks,

Mark
for more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike, www.wolbrinkrace.blogspot.com

Offline don46

Re: Nitrous and things that go bang in the night!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
I run a boondocker system, it's a dry system. I've used it for about 4 years no problems.

this is their website:

http://www.boondockers.com/nitrous/nitrouskits.htm#
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 02:53:38 PM »
 :-D

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:51:41 AM »
Thanks guys for the Boondock refferal and the the big 'tease' of a dyno sheet!

I also realized my original link was a bum....here is the correct one.

www.nitrous.info

and the site's more detailed page about motorcycles...pictures and info after the first few google ad links....

http://www.nitrous.info/motorcycle-nitrous-injection-system.htm

Don46 and Kaw Rider, could I bother you again (even more) and ask you to check out the link and offer any comments? please?

Don46....the Boondock system says they pressurize the carb and force the float to allow more fuel, the nitrous.info site talks about a fuel pump along with the nitrous....is that the difference between a wet and dry system?

Thanks

Mark
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 01:05:45 AM by mdw471 »
for more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike, www.wolbrinkrace.blogspot.com

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 01:02:51 AM »
This is from the UK site's FAQ........

Q: How long will the bottle last?

Approximately 10bhp per lb per min.

So a 2.25 lb bottle on a bike will give just less than a minute with a 25BHP increase.

Does this seem like an accurate reference/conversion?

Don46....how long are you on the button in a hill climb?

What is longest you guys have stood on the button? I am hoping one of you chased somebody across the desert, fifth gear and standing on the nitrous for a long, long time.

Thanks

Mark

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 01:16:35 AM »
I gotta get to the jobsite, but also found this....

http://www.exhaustgas.com/docserver/Docs/260.pdf

This is the system you use Don46, right? Lots of good info.

Mark

Offline don46

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:21:05 PM »

Don46....the Boondock system says they pressurize the carb and force the float to allow more fuel, the nitrous.info site talks about a fuel pump along with the nitrous....is that the difference between a wet and dry system?

Thanks

Mark

There is a bleed system that regulates the pressure in the carb bowl, you can push so muych fuel that the bike will load up and not run.  I use a manometer to adjust the float bowl pressure, at about 3-4" of water pressure.

The wet system requires a fuel pump to add fuel during nitrous use. the dry system uses a RC 9.6 v battery to activate the solenoid. You can get up to 25hp with the boondocker system down to 5hp depending on which nozzle you use. I use the 15hp nozzle, and a 12 oz bottle will last about 45 sec. Probably it isn't used for more than 20-30 sec at a time. I modified my throttle to accept a micro switch, so when the throttle is at about 25% it comes on and stays on till the throttle is released. I don't think you'd have enough gas to chase somebody across the desert a couple of short blasts and you'd be empty. Of course the + side, when your not on the bottle you can ride your bike like normal with no ill effects. Check that, I'm not sure, but I think the nitrous actually generates enough heat that it causes the plating to flake around the exhaust port. Now that could just be coincidental, but the plating was gone off a realtively new cylinder. I now use a sleeved cylinder for the nitrous bike.

Don

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »
i know on cars if the nos is tuned right you can run a lot of nos and not hurt the motor . 50,000 to 100,000 miles . have seen some cars run faster after 50,000 miles  with nothing done to to the motor after lots and lotsss of nos run though it . a two stroke should not be any diff. but it would have to be done right .
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:49:04 AM »

There is a bleed system that regulates the pressure in the carb bowl, you can push so muych fuel that the bike will load up and not run.  I use a manometer to adjust the float bowl pressure, at about 3-4" of water pressure.

The wet system requires a fuel pump to add fuel during nitrous use. the dry system uses a RC 9.6 v battery to activate the solenoid. You can get up to 25hp with the boondocker system down to 5hp depending on which nozzle you use. I use the 15hp nozzle, and a 12 oz bottle will last about 45 sec. Probably it isn't used for more than 20-30 sec at a time. I modified my throttle to accept a micro switch, so when the throttle is at about 25% it comes on and stays on till the throttle is released. I don't think you'd have enough gas to chase somebody across the desert a couple of short blasts and you'd be empty. Of course the + side, when your not on the bottle you can ride your bike like normal with no ill effects. Check that, I'm not sure, but I think the nitrous actually generates enough heat that it causes the plating to flake around the exhaust port. Now that could just be coincidental, but the plating was gone off a realtively new cylinder. I now use a sleeved cylinder for the nitrous bike.

Don
[/quote]

Thanks a lot Don

Lots of great info.

Where are you located...out west somewhere??

Mark

Offline don46

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 03:56:33 AM »
I'm located in Montana.