Author Topic: Stabilizer  (Read 4167 times)

Offline kxraptor

Stabilizer
« on: February 01, 2008, 04:17:14 AM »
I'd like to put a stabilizer on my '93 kx500,I believe the Scotts has a weld on post that I prefer not to do.Is the GPR a weld on post also?

Offline augerman

Re: Stabilizer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 06:22:04 AM »
Scotts use to make a bolt on version, I have one on my 94 k5. Might be worth giving them a call.

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:37:57 AM »
I bought my 500 with a bolt on post I will eventually change to the weld on post.  There is a lot of flex in the bolt on compared to the welded one on my WR(2 stroke).  I think the newer bolt on type posts have improved but I would still go with the weld on.  Any specific reason you don't want to use the weld on?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:38:30 AM »
Weld on...........
KX 500 Rider

Offline kxraptor

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 03:20:32 PM »
I just didn't want to be welding on the frame

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 04:10:39 PM »
It sucks because the bolt on mounts do flex and I have seen lots of bikes with the weld on mount crack around the mount. I wish the manufacturers would make the frames with a threded bung you could screw a post in to. the aluminum frames could have it cast right in. The posts could be machined from solid stainless they would look sweet and be super rigid. I know why they don't do it but I think there are enough rotory dampers on the market now to make doing it worth while. I even considered drilling and threading a hole in my crf but I'm chicken to do it. I would like to cut a frame apart to see how thick the cast bulk head is.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:21:29 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 08:24:36 AM »
I took my WR to a muffler shop and the guy did a great job.  Get yourself some PJ1 paint to paint it if you do end up going with the weld on.  Looks nice and don't have to worry about rust.

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:25:28 PM »
Here is another option...

http://www.werproducts.net/or.php

not sure if welding is required?

I have seen a lot of the Scott brand, but anybody use one of these?

Mark
for more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike, www.wolbrinkrace.blogspot.com

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 10:48:20 PM »
It sucks because the bolt on mounts do flex and I have seen lots of bikes with the weld on mount crack around the mount. I wish the manufacturers would make the frames with a threded bung you could screw a post in to. the aluminum frames could have it cast right in. The posts could be machined from solid stainless they would look sweet and be super rigid. I know why they don't do it but I think there are enough rotory dampers on the market now to make doing it worth while. I even considered drilling and threading a hole in my crf but I'm chicken to do it. I would like to cut a frame apart to see how thick the cast bulk head is.

I talked with Scotts tech dept. and they advised me to purchase the weld on unit.  Scotts commented that the neck clamp on the bolt on unit tends to move around a bit. Again, I can't tell you how much I LOVE this accessorie!! Especially out on the ice doing 90 mph !!! I have always been so skeptical of all the "moto-bling" accesories in the market today until the Scotts stabilizer!  Heres a pic of mine:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:53:24 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:19:34 PM »
Ive been using the WER dampener since 94 or so. Ive had no problems with them. I would just switch them from bike to bike as I got a new one. They have 2 options, rivet mount bracket or weld on. I just picked up a weld on frame bracket and mount kit from them last monday for my DRZ.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 12:50:52 AM »
I use a WER also on the 97 k5. I believe it makes it alot more rideable. The thing about it is though it has a little screw to turn in to stiffen the setting. These other ones have little clickers that really slow down the bars. I like that feature, because in hillclimbing you want them pretty stiff. The draw back that I have is that they stick up so high that if you come up short once that you may have a heck of an imprint on your chest, if not broken ribs.
 Isn't there any good stabilizers that have the click adjustments that have a lower profile? The only one that I can remember seeing was included in a whole triple clamp package deal.
 Anyone have a new 450? I heard that they have them as stock equipment. If so, how is that one mounted?

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 04:34:40 AM »
Anyone have a new 450? I heard that they have them as stock equipment. If so, how is that one mounted?

The new 08 Honda's have them on there 450. Its simple and nice.
No idea if it works great.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 07:32:04 AM »
The new WERs have more resistance in them. I got one for christmas last year and it was stiffer at my normal settings. They changed a few things internally. I dont run the top mount stabilizers because I have hit the crossbar before, almost knocking my ICO computer off. I thought I saw a fender mount kit for the Scotts or GP stabilizers.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.