Author Topic: my 500 89 project  (Read 2994 times)

cass

my 500 89 project
« on: January 17, 2008, 08:51:09 AM »
hi this is my first post,i have owned my 89 kx500  from 1991 it just wont die ! it`s had new engines, forks ,and 2 back shocks in it`s life time! now it`s getting a brand new 89 frame just powder coated and engine has had every seal and bearing replaced ie- full rebuild it`s not seen any action for 3 years ! i think its a big pussy cat ive never been scared off its power and always rode it to the max ! im wondering how to get engine looking like new , ive tried autosol polish but just doesen`t give that just rolled out of the factory look! any comments much apprechated!

Offline don46

Re: my 500 89 project
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:10:41 AM »
Probably to late now, but you can glass beads to get the new look, don't use sand. Of course any nicks or gouges are still going to be there.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 06:17:09 PM »
Ditto, glass bead blast it.  Sometimes the mud and dirt from you area just plain old stain the aluminum and you cant get it to come back without and acid bath,  like when a motor block is dipped prior to recore work.

Otherwise,  try some acetone but keep away from the paint, plastic, and powdercoat.

Sly

cass

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 02:38:54 AM »
do you mean like nail varnish remover? or stronger! i can`t dead blast as engine is built!

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »
The case, cylinder, head all can be bead blasted after put back together.  You just have to plug up the holes (reed intake, exhaust port, and cover up the rubber seal with blue painters tape).  Then a fine tipped detail bead blaster (at a shop if you don't have access) and it will look great.  But will stain a bit easier because the surface is pretty raw.

Acetone as in a quart/gallon from hardware store....  might not take what you got going on off...

Sly

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 06:19:20 PM »
If you bead blast the engine built you have to mask all of the bolts or you will blast off all the zink coating and all your hardware will rust not a big deal if you are looking for the mad max look. I'm not sure what kind of bead blaster you are talking about using but mine will make quick work of blue painters tape. I like to use 10 mil tape like you use to wrap plumbing pipes with. when you glass bead blast aluminum you open up the pores of the metal and it will stain easy but if you use teflon spray you can plug the pores with teflon and it will not stain as easy.  Just my four cents.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 03:43:29 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

crusty

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »
 use mag wheel acid cleaner make sure dirt is off engine and that engine is dry then soak it top to bottom wait 3 mins or 5 depends how light you want it. begin pressure washin from 6 to 10 inches away tip! start at bhottom of motor so you dont rinse all acid away before you get to it with high pressure. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline Kawasakinut

• s#@t plus two equals eight
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »
crusty i got something to add about the mag wheel acid. i used to work at a car wash when i got out of h.s. and we used that stuff. actually that stuff should work great but words of caution do not get it in your eyes and don't breath it in burns like an s.o.b. sounds like that would be easy.  i'm not talkin about a direct spray, i'm talkin about the fumes they are evil.  that stuff should make alum. look like brand new.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:21:45 PM by jimvpa »
htpp://www.youtube.com/jimvpa