Author Topic: snow riding?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline ericac

snow riding?
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »
does anyone have any tips on snow riding? i needed my fix today, so i rode from my garage to this mountain behind my house to see if i could get to the top (about an hour ride). i live in la crescenta (20 miles north of L.A.) and it never snows here, but once i got up there the ground was packed with like 4 feet of the stuff! i tried to ride but got caught in a snowbank about a 100 feet into it, luckily some hikers helped me haul my bike out but my hands were too numb to clutch by then (the kx5's clutch was not helpful) and i made it back. but is there a good way to ride through snow? or is it just not done? this is coming from a total so-cal desert dweller with no idea! oh and forgot to take pictures  :cry:

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: snow riding?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »
one of these should do the job.

Offline ericac

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
haha so.... where do they sell kx500-to-snowmobile conversion kits? i guess ill just try avoiding snow until i get one.

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:08:11 PM »
Does any one know how well a bike works in the snow with sand tires?
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »
I've ridden in maybe 6-8 inches of snow possibly deeper but that was too long ago to remember.  Now 4 feet yeah you better go with the snowmobile.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »
Pretty much every year I get a few snow rides in. Usualy in about 6-8" of snow. The sand tires seem to work the best, better with Cold Kutter ice screws, but the screws dont last too long if you hit dirt alot. Ofcource, the Trelleborg Friction Spike tires work the best but are pricey at 5-600 bucks a set.  Powdery snow is the best, the wet, packing snow is tougher to ride in. About 3/4 of my property is very old cranberry bogs and is under water and has turned into a cedar swamp. When the water freezes, we make trails throughout the swamp and use the ice screws. Its just about frozen now but were expecting some 50* weather for this week. May have to wait a little longer.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 04:05:01 AM »
 6" snow is close to max I agree. Feet down alot and gear down for rideability as with any slick condition. You want to bog the motor to hook-up. Keep it growling not singing. Don't forget to fatten mixture. Cold temps will lean out the mixture and after ripping all day with it leaned out, it may be an expensive ride.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »
js, what kind of tires did you buy?

Wizzy214

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 03:03:41 PM »
when its icey out and the dirt is frozen i just screw, screws into my knobby's  like straight in. i think i used 3/4 or 1/2 inch screws.  your gunna want to do it to an old tire as it rips the knobs. good times if i can find that tire i'll post some pics

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »
I have heard of using the car studs, unfortunately, we dont get much snow over here in southern NJ. None of the tire shops carry them. So far we've had about 4" total at my house.

crusty

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 05:27:22 AM »
the ultimate for snow is in the pics i sent in general under "only a matter of time" otherwise you got to go with trelleborg ice spikes it truly is the only way to lay the ponies down in winter its like riding on velcro if you ride hard pack snow, frozen dirt and ice they are simply the best and cost that way too but definately worth it especially in Canada. Dont run screw type studs in an old tire as they will come free at the most unopertune time especially with 65 horse and especially on frozen dirt. Trust me have a right shoulder seperation due to this. I s**t the hole middle row of screws out and came into the corner on the river when she got sideways on me then the outer screws hooked back up can you say bucked?that was 2 years ago scince have changed to trelleborg and they are truely the all around winter have safe fun tire with the big boy kx bigred killer. as for tips keep your balance and watch for sink holes. :evil: :evil: :evil:

crusty

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »
yah man good thinkin! does it float or can you adjust down force for cut depth? how heavy is it? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 12:38:40 AM »
Not to burst your bubble but there was a company manufacturing one of those a couple years ago. It had hydraulics on it to lift it and pivot it, also had down force. I believe the manufacturer was David Brown or something like that.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 03:54:33 AM »
Those trelebourgs work great.  I don't use them but there are a few around my town that ride most of the winter.  I snowride fall and spring when there is less than 12" of snow and the ground is still sort of soft, and until the skiing is good. Its a lot like very-slippery mud riding.  When I was kid we used to wait until a good thaw/freeze then go out on the frozen snowmobile trails. Put a few sheet metal screws in the rear center knob and go flying aroung over the snowmobile made whoops.  Best snowriding here is in the spring.  Ground softens up and the snow gets mushy, traction is decent and there are up to 3' mushy snowbanks to crash through.  Super fun and much easier than it looks. Cam.

n2682

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 12:52:44 PM »
i learned how to ride in the snow got my first bike at christmas time and rode it everyday first off put ice racing tires on it unless your ok with the slippin and sliding ive followed snowmobiles all over on reg nobbies even broke trails up hills with my bikes dont use the front break hardly ever unless u use it with the rear at the same time riding in the snow is alot of fun just go slow at first though build up to railing threw the woods after u get the hang and sit more on the rear of the bike you will be shocked at least i was on how much better u ride in the summer after riding in the winter