Author Topic: First Top End rebuild - Need advice - Pics included  (Read 10327 times)

stewart

Re: First Top End rebuild - Need advice - Pics included
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 03:17:27 AM »
dont worrey about the eye wash ...its easy  to fall for that..

Offline don46

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 06:09:04 AM »
The primary reason I was told (by a wiesco rep) not to use a ball hone, when it is spun in the cylinder bore, it drops into the ports and as the balls come out they snap against the cylinder wall and can cause pitting where the ball mnakes contact with the wall. NEVER spin a ball hone fast, that will create havoc on your cylinder. If you must feel that you need to deglaze, use the brush hones Wiesco offers, and only make a token pass
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 07:08:40 AM »
I'd like to try one of those brushed you talk about and compare it to a ball hone.  I've had the same ball hone set (125's & 250's) for years from Snap-on.  I think the "ball snap" you speak of is probobly over thinking the situation.  Even if it did occur, it would be on a microscopic level.  And I can't see how that would affect a 2 stroke engine.

Anyway, the ball hone process only takes 10 seconds.  It's not like your siting there for 45 minutes spinning the thing.
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline don46

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
here's the wiseco link for the bruch hone.

http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Catalogs/CB07/Comp-ComprsrSleevesHoneBrushes.pdf

The point is it can make a chip in the plating, this wil give a foot hold to start damaging the cylinder plating. Obviously your going to do what you think is best, and I'm going to do the same, for me, I don't use a ball hone, either, nothing, a brush hone or a rigid hone in that order.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 09:09:06 AM »
Yes, I read that, thanks.  I wonder what RPM range they recommend?  Like I said, I'd like to try one on the next rebuild.  I mean, let's face it, this is what they do.  I know what I'm taught.
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline BDI

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »
I have never honed a plated cylinder myself. any time I have ever honed an iron cylinder it has been in and out once or twice that's it, just enough to put a 45 degree cross hatch on it. From my experience a ceramic plated cylinder that's worth using still has a cross hatch in it. Any time a plated cylinder shows wear of any kind I would elect to have it replated and let Maxpower put a nice cross hatch on it for me. I could not sleep at night knowing I put a brand new shiney piston in a worn out hole. That's just me I'm anal like that.  :wink:
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

stewart

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 01:18:20 PM »
I have never honed a plated cylinder myself. any time I have ever honed an iron cylinder it has been in and out once or twice that's it, just enough to put a 45 degree cross hatch on it. From my experience a ceramic plated cylinder that's worth using still has a cross hatch in it. Any time a plated cylinder shows wear of any kind I would elect to have it replated and let Maxpower put a nice cross hatch on it for me. I could not sleep at night knowing I put a brand new shiney piston in a worn out hole. That's just me I'm anal like that.  :wink:
dittoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  stewart

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 01:16:37 AM »
I'm glad I'm good company on this one. I don't mess with saving money on do-it-yourself rebuilds. Its risky business putting a new piston in a cylinder that is not replated. If a motor has low hours and no damage, you can surely put a piston in it, but only once like that. If there's damage of any kind, it is thru the plating. They clean up the cylinder and plating fills in tolerances back to stock size. Any boring or honing should be done by experienced engine builder with mic's. If you want to save money and do most of the work, dissassemble, take just cylinder to engine builder. Order your rebuild kit after varifying piston size, and reassemble yourself. Plating and micing are only a fraction of the costs and labors of the total rebuild. They like to get a mark-up on the rebuild kit, and rightfully so, if you are not confident enough to get the parts yourself. You will save money in the long run, delegating out some things not to mention the added peace of mind while ripping it up out in the wilds.....