Author Topic: Flywheel weight  (Read 12604 times)

rradar

Flywheel weight
« on: July 08, 2004, 06:01:12 AM »
Anybody put a flywheel weight on the Wife's KX100 to make it more trail friendly? If so, what size and what results? Is it worth it? Like some feedback before I modify the little screamer.

Rick

Flywheel weight
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 08:10:37 AM »
While I have never owned a KX100, I have helped others smooth the power of thier new KX100's.  The flywheel weight is a HUGE benefit, and keeps the front wheel on the ground much better.  Unfortunately, I am not sure what size was used.

rradar

Flywheel weight
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 05:57:00 AM »
...Can't say I own one either as my wife owns everything except my K5. She even tried to hide my snowboards last winter after about 65 days on the mountain. Anyway she went from a Yamaha Blaster to a KX 100. Being that the Kawie has the advantage in the power to weight ratio and she is not quite able to use all of the top end in the woods we are thinking about experimenting with some weights in addition to gearing. Never thought of putting weight on the K5 since it goes from woods to dunes, desert and moto. Thinking maybe a front brush guard for the woods howwever, since it seems to like heading off of the single track on it's own sometimes.

mikesmith

Flywheel weight
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 07:37:29 AM »
My wife wanted a 100 but after trying one she went for a KX85 because she's a small woman the 100 was to tall.I put a flywheel weight and carb spacer on and it made it easier for her to ride and Ill go down in gearing later.She doesnt ride it much so Im thinking a adjustable top Pro-Taper clamp and bars,taller seat foam and Ill have a fun little play bike! Larry Roseler raced a KX80 in a 125 frame at an ISDE once and a lot of big guys riding 50's,so why not!

rradar

Flywheel weight
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 06:30:54 AM »
Good Info, thanks Mike!

kaos

Re: Flywheel weight
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 07:25:25 AM »
Mike - where did you get the flywheel weight?  When you say carb spacer, did you mean between the carb and the motor, or a spacer in the carb to limit how much the slide can be opened?

thanks.kaos

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 03:18:36 PM »
Kaos,
  Steahly is one of the best. I doubt there is a choice of weights but what they sell is generally tested and pretty good.  Also the steahly is removable (it threads on like a flywheel cover in place of the retaining nut).  There was an old test on the net somewhere where they modified the KX100 for trail use by a girl. It was quite good if you can find it. The reed spacer is a 3/8" aluminum spacers that installs between the reed valve and the engine. It spaces the reeds away from the engine and gives more bottom end power. For taming the 100, the flywheel weight gets my vote for the most bang for the buck. Hope this helps. Cam.

kaos

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 04:45:48 PM »
Thanks, Cam.  The spacer sounds like something I could build.  I remember helping out with something similar on a friend's small block chev motor many years ago, seems like the torque increase was noticable. 

I may have to build the FWW as well, as the Steahley and SFB sites don't show one for this bike.  I've sent emails to both companies tho, and I'll follow up this week with phone calls, on the off chance I can locate something.

This is becoming an interesting project.  I'd like to hear about any similar experiences, tips on how not to screw it up, that sort of stuff.

regards,
kaos

Offline Arnax

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 07:31:35 AM »
Stealhy Offroad have a flywheel weight for the KX 100. They actually have 3 as it comes in 12, 10 or 8 oz.

metallicarebal

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 03:21:52 PM »
I put the 10 oz. stealhy flywheel weight on my 00 kx 100 and was very happy with the difference it made, it made the bike so much more rideable in the woods. The only drawback is a small loss in overall power. Great mod for the woods though. Hope that helps.  :-)

Utah

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 08:06:32 AM »
I'm looking to do the girl friend rig too. Think the fly wheel weight will be a must (don't want to scare her off from the sport!) also ability to keep feet flat on ground..what is seat to ground? Would think that at 5'3" she should fit on here ok. Anybody ever try auto clutch like rekluse?

Offline Sam Simons

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 01:31:16 PM »
I put a 10 oz. weight on my KX100,love it. I ride fast trails and it 'calms' down the hyper
little 100 just right(the weight delays and softens the 'hit' we all love).

Sam in Indiana

KX100
DRZ125
XR400