Author Topic: kx500 gearbox problem  (Read 1885 times)

Offline holeshothirons

kx500 gearbox problem
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »
Hi ,I bought a KX500 1992 as a box of bits a couple of months ago and completed the build just over a week ago including reassembling the gearbox and took the  bike for a test ride in a local farmers field [with permission]. The bike ran great but fourth gear was 'missing' I changed gear from third to fourth but it was just a neutral

Any body got any ideas about what I might have done wrong ? I spoke to the previous owner who stated that it was ok before and I have no reason to disbelieve him ! Cheers

stewart

Re: kx500 gearbox problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
tear it back down and assemble the shift drum and forks and gears in the clutch side of case and turn shift drum threw the gears to find out ...it could be the forks in wrong postion or a number of other things
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:11:03 AM by stewart »

Offline holeshothirons

Re: kx500 gearbox problem
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:50:33 AM »
Cheers I will hopefully have the cases apart this week. Ive already got the engine out of the frame and the barrel and piston off just need to get hold of my friend with the crank splitting tool.

Hi took it apart yesterday and a broken circlip was the problem [ I didn't replace the circlips during the put together , lesson learned ! ]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 08:27:21 AM by holeshothirons »