Author Topic: Splitting cases?  (Read 9520 times)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Splitting cases?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »
I used a steering wheel puller from advanced auto ($25?) and longer bolts. I now have a crank splitting tool, but the puller from advanced worked for years. I also always used a press to get the crank out.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 12:53:42 AM »
Just call or email some reputal compnanies. Then you will feel good about sending it out thinking of the price you got. Ask about turnaround time too. The guys, who are doing it daily, have all the tools, presses, mics, ect. plus have the experience to look into common problems. They have relationships with parts mfg's, plating companies and all that. A performance builder can often throw some free mods as a standard method.  You will still be very hands on in the process and can save money by doing all that you are ready for.
  The guys burnin the gonja are graded on how many extra bolts they can have and still make it run. :? :? :?

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »
They had weed and a motor to rebuild and they were not going to let a small thing like the lack of a shop press stop them.  So with bong in hand and probably a paper clip to poke the stem with, these guys pressed the engine back together with a floor jack and a pickup truck.

LOL..... I need me some friends like THAT!!!    :mrgreen:
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 01:54:03 PM »
funny that.removed my crank this aft with a blow torch, plastic mallet and a funny lookin cigarette.jobs a fish.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline BDI

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »
They had weed and a motor to rebuild and they were not going to let a small thing like the lack of a shop press stop them.  So with bong in hand and probably a paper clip to poke the stem with, these guys pressed the engine back together with a floor jack and a pickup truck.

LOL..... I need me some friends like THAT!!!    :mrgreen:
not only is it funny, it's completely true.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:58:54 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »
I was searching around for encouragement to split my own cases.  Can you send them buddies on a road trip?

I just took apart, cleaned, oiled and reassembled the movement on a wind up wall clock.  Never did it before.  All the info said that special tools were needed.  I don't need no steenkin special tools.  Looks like it will work.

I used to rebuild my Mopar 4 speeds w/out a press.  Had it down pat.  I just dropped the shafts onto a thick board and the gears would work themselves off.  That was all iron and steel, though.

I figure that there's a way to split cases w/out special tools but if I want it to reassemble nice and tight maybe I'll have someone else do it.  If I fug it up, that would be one expensive lesson in case disassembly.

I can take anything apart.  Getting it all back together........ well...... that's another story.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline BDI

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »
You saying a floor jack,pickup truck and a couple blocks of wood don't count as a special tool.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:13:05 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
BDI, can you ask permission before using my picture in future? :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 12:21:01 PM »
To be perfectly honest these guys have been wrenching on bikes at a professional level for years and they like to smoke pot. They had weed and a motor to rebuild and they were not going to let a small thing like the lack of a shop press stop them.  So with bong in hand and probably a paper clip to poke the stem with, these guys pressed the engine back together with a floor jack and a pickup truck. Even though they pulled it off and probably smoked some more pot and watched some mtv afterwards you should not try doing this because you probably can't do it.

I love it.
Go stoney!!!!!!!!!!!
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline jonny500

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 10:22:57 PM »
this is a little case spliter i made. it cost about ?2/$4 to make and it dose everything, when you have a new bike you just put some more holes in it. i have split alot cases with this . no problem
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:25:36 PM by jonny500 »

Offline jonny500

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
pic 2

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 03:11:36 AM »
 Good On You John,
  Great Idea!   I'm sure there are lot's of other Inventions of necessity out there, Thanks for sharing this Gem.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline dirtjunkie85

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »
heres some good instructional videos about how to do a bottom end rebuild.
engine rebuild video
just go to the "videos" tab at the top of the page. and check out the 3 bottom end rebuild videos